Software Development Coach - Makers Apprenticeships
Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers retrains people as software developers and helps them find that job.
- You deserve a job you love. We've got one for you.
- You want to be more than just an engineer or a manager or a teacher or a consultant: you want to help people build fantastic careers at an unbelievable rate, which will help them and the people they work with change their lives for the better.
- As a Technical Coach you'll be responsible for empowering career changes from a diverse range of backgrounds to become software developers. With your technical focus, you'll help our developers go from zero coding knowledge to joining their first development teams in just 12 weeks time. You will not only be helping people to learn how to code, but how to be adaptable self-led learners who can quickly become a productive member of any dev team.
- On a day-to-day basis, you will help developers to reflect on their learning and meta-cognitive processes. You will guide them to set and sequence their own learning goals and achieve those goals in the required timeframe. You may be running Agile retrospectives, impromptu workshops on code design or attending morning stand-ups. You will ensure they enter their placements with all the skills and behaviours of professional software developers.
Mostly you'll coach developers in meeting these challenges themselves. Occasionally you'll take the reins yourself to resolve more difficult problems — all the while ensuring the developer is more prepared to meet them the next time they come up.
- Imagine the mentor you wish you had at the start of your career — that's your role.
- You'll have the freedom to act in a way that you believe is right for the company. You'll have a genuine say in the way the business is run, and the environment in which you work. You'll be encouraged to identify problems and solve them; and to seek out new opportunities and pursue them. In short, you'll have a voice that will be heard and valued.
- This could be a permanent or contract position.
Working in a company that's built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;Join weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;Discounts on classes & treatments at Triyoga Shoreditch;Join a scaling company that's evolving all the time;We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum - we encourage our team to take at least 33 days a year;Private Medical Insurance after you've been with us at least 3 months;A Perks @Work account for significant discounts on products, experiences and things like gym membership;Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each others.
- Location: Our apprenticeships campus just off Old Street, London.Salary: We'll offer in the region of £60,000, depending on previous (relevant) experience. Holiday: We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum - you must take at least 28 days a year.Management: Makers is a company built on trust, rather than fear: you're trusted to make good decisions on behalf of the business (which includes how, when and where you work).
- Recruitment Process
- Apply with a cover letter (and, ideally, CV/LinkedIn);We'll review completed applications and get back to you within a week, either with feedback about your application or an invitation to interview;Phone interview with Dan, Head of Coaching Apprenticeships;Assessment with the coaching team, including:An exercise where we'll ask you to participate in a workshop with our learners.A reflective exercise, where you will discuss how the workshop went and uncover any insights that were gained.Final chat with the CEO.
- We're building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included - we know we can do a lot better, and we're committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you'd feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we're sorry; and second, we'd really like to hear from you about it, so we don't do it again.
- About Makers
- Makers is Europe's first and leading ‘coding bootcamp' - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we've helped more than 1,500 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
- We're pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
Posted 12 days ago