Volunteer Campaigns Champions
We want the people in power to listen to the voices of people with a learning disability!**We want a world where people with a learning disability are treated with fairness and respect!**
Do you want these things too?
Join our team of Volunteer Campaigns Champions.We are looking for more people with a learning disability to join the team.
What will I be doing in this volunteer role?
You will help to promote and take part in Mencap’s campaigns. For example:
- Appearing in campaigning videos
- Attending campaign planning meetings at Mencap
- Attending events in Parliament
- Signing online petitions and spreading the word on social mediaTalking to journalists and appearing in the media, if you want to
- Meeting with your MP or local decision makers
- Writing blogs
- Giving speeches
- Campaigning locally on issues you care about.
Can I volunteer if I have a learning disability?
Yes! For this role, we are looking for people with a learning disability. Mencap wants to speak alongside people with a learning disability, rather than for them.
Mencap staff will discuss any support needs and how we can best support you to volunteer
When will I volunteer?
Once you become a Campaigns Champion there are no set days and times you will volunteer.
You will be contacted by the Campaigns Team three times a year about the progress of our campaigns.
You will also be contacted about events we would like you to take part in. We expect you to be involved in at least one of these events each year.
We will try to give you at least 2 weeks’ notice for any event.
What happens after I apply?
There will be 2 days of training at Mencap Centre of Engagement in London.
Training will take place on30th Septemberand 4th October. They will be from 11.00am – 3.30pm.Lunch will be provided.
All you need to be a Campaigns Champions is:
- Passionate about learning disability and campaigning
- Friendly and approachable
- Good at listening to others
- Organised and motivated
For information, please download the role profile at the bottom of the page.
Posted 15 days ago