Senior Backend Engineer
- Unmade is a global fashion software company driving innovation through customisation and delivering an end-to-end digital solution for on-demand production at scale. Started by Hal Watts, Kirsty Emery-Laws and Ben Alun-Jones in 2014, the company was born out of a desire to reimagine both the design and manufacturing processes within the fashion industry, so brands only make what is actually sold, resulting in minimal waste.
- Our customers are leading global fashion and sportswear businesses, seeking to innovate in design and production; and deliver stronger customer engagement through customisation and personalisation initiatives.
- In 2019 Unmade ranked 41 overall (and 2nd in the 'Style' category) in Fast Company's List of the World's 50 Most Innovative Businesses in recognition for our work in designing a less wasteful fashion industry.
- Other awards and recognition include Winner of the Drapers Digital Awards for Best Use of Innovation and nomination for the LVMH Innovation Award at Vivatech in Paris. We are an alumni of Lafayette Plug and Play, the premier international business catalyst for the retail and e-commerce industries and Techstars. Pieces from Unmade are now a part of the permanent collections at both the Museum of Modern Art in New York and the Victoria & Albert Museum in London.We are a team of 30 people working across Engineering, Design & Product, Sales & Marketing, Customer Success, and Operations, and are based at Somerset House, one of London's most important and exciting cultural landmarks.
- What's it like working at Unmade?
- We are doing work we care about, and we are supportive of others to do the same.We have fostered a culture of collaboration and we believe in exchanging information and learning from each other - no one is unapproachable, and everyone's ideas matter. We believe that potential is more important than experience, and hire accordingly. Don't worry if you don't have all the skills and experience we're looking for today - apply anyway! In fact, many of our colleagues started here with little experience and learnt on the job. We believe that what you build is just as important as how you build it, and that technology is just as much about people as it is about code. We are building a product where people with little to no technology experience can be involved in an element of the creative process, and are constantly thinking of ways to make it better and more seamless.We strive to be transparent in everything we do, and share both our successes and failures with the rest of the team. As a result, we're comfortable that even if things don't always go as planned, we are always doing our best.
About the role:
- We're building a SaaS (Software as a Service) product, and you will be building upon existing systems and help shape the architecture of the platform. Our technology stack covers everything from graphics programming and order processing and systems integration to custom language compilers for industrial knitting machines.
- Our architecture consists of services and Django web applications. We use Django Admin to control the end-to-end flow of product creation, from allowing our customers to customise their designs, to getting the machines to print or knit their fashion products, to sending the specs to factories, to finally delivering their finished product. It is a versatile and exciting role that will allow you to learn and to develop your skills further in an inclusive and supportive environment.
- In the next 12 months you will be:
- Leading efforts in developing, maintaining and improving our existing backend systems.Working with our Site Reliability Engineer to improve how we ship our code and scale, maintain and monitor it in production.Collaborating the Product & Design team to make sure we're delivering what our customers need.Learning about different clothing manufacturing methods e.g. machine knitting and sublimation printing.Playing a prominent role in the team's effort to devise and implement solutions to the problems we are trying to solve for us and for our customers.Advocating for changes to our systems, where needed, by creating proposals that convey the value of such changes, and formulating plans to deliver them with minimal disruption.Mentoring and teaching other Engineers in the team.Leading architectural changes to our codebase.
To be successful in this role, you will need to have:
- Experience of developing the skills of other engineersExperience of working in an agile environment with close collaboration with stakeholders.Professional experience programming in an OOP language.Experience working with Web Applications.Experience working with Operations (e.g. CI, AWS, Docker).
Nice to have (but not required):
- Experience with:
- PythonDjangoTDDRestful APIsDockerAWS (Amazon Web Services)Node.jsReact
What to expect during your interviews with us:
- Step 1 - Application Review
- If your experience and skills are relevant, we will email you to schedule a phone screen with the recruiter.
- Step 2 - Phone screen
- You will be asked to talk about a project that you're most proud of, and do it in such a way that someone with little technical experience can get a good understanding of it. This is also the perfect moment to talk about your salary expectations and potential start date.
- Step 3 - Onsite interview
- The onsite interview lasts approximately 2.5-3 hours and is structured in three parts: a technical interview, a pair-programming session, and a teamwork and communication interview. The recruiter will let you know in advance who you're going to meet. Also, we're a pretty casual bunch here, so feel free to wear something comfortable for your interviews (smart casual is perfect!).
- Technical interview - We usually ask you to bring your laptop and show us an example of some previous professional work. We ask for background/context to the work, look at some of your contributions and ask questions as we go. If you can't show us an example, we will discuss a different technical concept.Pair-programming - You will be presented with a technical exercise and will work with another backend engineer towards a solution. The aim of this exercise is to see how well you could work within the Unmade team, and not necessarily to find a solution.Teamwork and communication interview - We want to make sure that you're the right person for the team, and also that this is the right role for you. We aim to get a better understanding of your motivation, teamwork, handling conflict within the team, and communication style.
Step 4 - Feedback
- You can expect to hear back from us within 1-3 working days following your onsite interview.
- If you join Unmade:
- Salary: £60-80,000/annum + equityHoliday: 25 days + bank and public holidaysPensionFlexible working hoursKnowledge sharing and personal developmentConference and training budgetFriday team lunches
No recruitment agencies please.
Posted 20 days ago