Head of Education - Apprenticeships
London, Greater London, England
- Head of Education Apprenticeships
How do we help highly-motivated people become the best developers in the world, for free?
Makers started in 2012. Since then, we've trained and placed nearly 2,000 developers: nearly 300 of whom were trained and placed at zero cost to them. Our curriculum and training ethos is the innovative engine which helps our developers to genuinely transform their approaches to tech, to learning, and to themselves. We're looking for someone to take ownership of that curriculum and training ethos, and take us to the next level – while keeping us fully-compliant with more traditional government bodies.
We ran our first Apprenticeships cohort in August 2018, driven by a desire to widen access to our program. Since then, we've placed and trained apprentices for Google, Microsoft, several Government departments, Deloitte, and many others. At the core of what we offer is excellent, driven developers with a strong growth mindset and a belief in themselves based on robust tech-agnostic skills. We train developers holistically, giving them the reins to their own learning and trusting them, while providing light-touch coaching support during the trickiest parts. We're not afraid to cheer our students on as they grapple with uncertainty; that's exactly the skillset we want them to build.
The Head of Education Apprenticeships is essentially the steward of our curriculum and our educational ethos on the Apprenticeships side of the business. While the coaching team work day-in, day-out with our developers, the Head of Education Apprenticeships is a strategic and highly-autonomous role with the following main responsibilities:
- Driving and maintaining the vision for the Makers Apprenticeships curriculum.
- Coordinating curricular work across Delivery, Coaching, Marketing, Sales, and Product.
- Being the “go-to” person for guidance about our self-driven education philosophy as it relates to Apprenticeships.
You will have a significant degree of autonomy and freedom in driving excellence across the following results:
- Makers Apprenticeships becoming Ofsted "Outstanding" according to the new Education Inspection On-programme learner experience.
- ESFA programme compliance, where this concerns the Apprenticeships curriculum.
While you are free to achieve success in the ways you see best, here are the sorts of things you might do day-to-day:
- Working closely with trainee developers and the Apprenticeships Delivery and Coaching teams to trial new curriculum, new learning methodologies, and new training approaches.
- Developing and maintaining a roadmap for future curriculum development, working closely with Marketing and Sales to ensure they have an accurate picture of the roadmap, and closely with Product to ensure the roadmap fits with market requirements and company strategy.
- Shaping and advocating for our education approach across the company and within the wider community.
In the first three months, we would expect you to become an expert on our curriculum, our educational ethos, and the current processes for changing either of those, as well as the apprenticeships standard, and the Ofsted evaluation frameworks within which we operate.
In the months following, we'd expect you to take control of the timeline for education-based changes across our Apprenticeships curriculum, driving high standards of learning, tracking, and compliance across the board.
This role would suit someone with the following profile:
- You've driven excellence in an education environment – a class, a department, or a school.
- You're deeply enthusiastic about learning and pedagogy.
- You're an excellent communicator, and enjoy coordinating people across teams to make things happen.
- You have successfully developed learning programs or curricula in the past.
- You have some industry experience of software engineering.
Especially interesting would be:
- You have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), or a comparable qualification.
- You have experience working with Apprenticeship Standards.
- You hail from a background or community who are under-represented in technology.
- Working in a company that's built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- Join weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- Discounts on classes & treatments at Triyoga Shoreditch;
- Join a scaling company that's evolving all the time;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum - we encourage our team to take at least 33 days a year;
- Private Medical Insurance after you've been with us for at least 3 months;
- A Perks @Work account for significant discounts on products, experiences and things like gym membership;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
If you're looking to join a team where you'll learn, grow and make a difference and where you'll be heard and valued - get in touch.
At Makers, we are inspired by the idea of discovering and unlocking tech skills potential in people for the benefit of business and society. We combine tech education with employment possibilities that transform lives.
Founded in 2013, we've helped more than 1,500 people begin a new career in software and have been building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We're pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and industry the and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
Posted 15 days ago