This week the Dalai Lama gave his blessing to a new course of free evening classes in the UK aimed at making people happier.
Launching the course, the Dalai Lama said he was delighted to see the “work being done to create a happier and more caring society”.
Well known for his spiritual teachings and words of wisdom, the Buddhist leader’s latest move got us thinking here at Zoek how his inspirational quotes can benefit anyone, especially those looking to improve their happiness levels by changing their job. After all, we spend a third of lives at work so being happy there is vitally important.
Here are five of the Tibetan monk’s most inspirational gems to help you in your search for a new – happier – job.
1. ‘Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.’ – If you’re unhappy it’s up to you to do something about. If it’s your job that’s making you miserable, take action because no one is going to call you up and offer you your dream job. Time to update that CV and check out what positions are available!
2. ‘If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.’ – Wise words for life in general, but work life in particular. The office doesn’t have to be a competitive battleground and you should never act to the detriment of your colleagues. Helping others will hone your managerial skills and you can bask in the reflected results gained from working as a team.
3. ‘Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.’ – So you didn’t get that dream job you’d set your heart on. Remember that everything happens for a reason and continue your search; a better position could be just around the corner.
4. ‘To conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle.’ – We all have some negative traits. By addressing them and trying to be the best you can, inside and outside the workplace, you’ll soon find yourself victorious in your job search.
5. “If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.” – You may feel as if you’re a small fish in a big corporate pond, but every position has its own worth. Recognise this and you’ll see what value you can bring to your next employer.
6. ‘No matter what sort of difficulties, how painful experience is, if we lose our hope, that’s our real disaster.’ – So however many rejections you get, always keep your head – and your hopes – high.
For jobs in your area why not try Zoek, the mobile app which helps you find the job you’ll be happy with in a smarter, faster way from your mobile phone. Download for free on iOS and Android and let your dream job find you.
For more job hunting hints and tips visit the Zoek blog or follow us on Twitter @Zoekappuk.
Interested in finding out more about the subjects raised on this page?
Simply click on the tags below to read related blog posts...