Senior Backend Developer
Newcastle upon Tyne
Grid Smarter Cities are at the forefront of the drive towards smarter cities. Based in the centre of Newcastle, and proudly so, we've been running for 6 years and are at a very exciting stage in our company's growth as we look to bring a new developer into our core product delivery team.
At Grid we work on interesting, meaningful products in a lean, fast moving fashion. We ranked top 10 for IP, now we need to get our products out to the world!
Who we'd like you to be:
We want to collaborate with interesting people. It could be you, especially if you have some of the skills and interests below:
· You care about the users of your product
· You love the agile principles but are cautious of the Agile industry
· You are a professional who cares about your craft
· You like working as part of a team
· You spend a little time thinking before doing
· You don't think something is done if you've not tested it
· You're a nice person - we've got a small team which we're looking to grow, and we all get on splendidly, so we'd like you to help us grow our team and maintain our culture.
· You're a contributor - someone who wants to be involved in defining our core products as well as building them.
What we'd like you to have:
· You are keen on DevOps, TDD, CI/CD and XP ways of working in general
· You're comfortable with dynamic languages (Python, Ruby etc)
· You've worked with an MVC framework (django-rest-framework, rails)
· You understand the importance of CI/CD
· You know REST principles and patterns
· You can see how an awesome cloud provider can make us productive
· Strong communication skills and interest in a pair-programming environment.
· Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems.
· An understanding of agile development practices.
· Passion for Test Driven Development and/or Behaviour Driven Development.
· You can write great code. Software design is as important to you as writing the code.
· Good use of version control (Git).
· You are open to new ideas and ways of working.
What you'll get:
· Flexible and remote working.
· The wage you deserve.
· A defined contribution pension.
· 25 days holiday a year.
· A Macbook Pro.
While we don't yet have some of the perks which are in fashion at the moment, like a beer fridge, unlimited holidays or regular social nights out, but what we can offer is a superb working environment which will allow you to do your best work, and a wage which will represent that work. You'll build products that really make a difference and your contribution to the whole product development lifecycle is invaluable to us, we don't just want you to sit behind a keyboard all day.
We also LOVE Lean and Agile. We don't just cherry pick the parts that look sexy, we don't just do standups and tell the world we're Agile, we follow Lean principles and the Agile Manifesto to the letter.
If you want to be part of something from the ground up, to help shape a company as well as the products we build, please get in touch.
Posted 21 days ago