Head of Project Controls
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
Primary purpose of job: The primary purpose of this role is to actively support the Director of Programme Controls in the drive towards establishment & maturity of a Project Controls capability across MADG & its inherent Business Units.
This is a critical role acting as an enabler towards the successful delivery of programmes & projects, by leading the implementation of the MADG Project Controls Systems necessary to successfully deliver projects to time, cost & quality. This will be done in compliance with MADG LCM & BMS processes, procedures and tools as governed by Programme Management & Controls Function.
• Director Programme Controls • Business Unit Programme / Project Director • Project Managers • Lead Planner, Project Planners/Controllers and Risk Specialists • IPT / Project Team • Integrated Business Planning Team • Programme Management & Controls Function (PM&C). • Liaison with PMOs across MADG to ensure that best practice is shared across the company. Health & Safety, Operations) • Other business areas & functions (eg Engineering, Finance, Commercial, Legal, Quality, Manufacturing).
Key Areas of Responsibility:
To work with the Director of Programme Controls in leading the governance, training, assurance & integration of Project Controls activities across MADG, including:
• Adherence to Project Schedule generation, maintenance & status update procedures • Adherence to Project Change Management (including maintenance of the Project performance Measurement Baseline) • Generation of Project Level Reporting templates (e.g CSR, Project Performance & Customer Reporting) • Governance of the process for co-ordinating budget control & forecasting across the Work Package Managers /project team • Earned Value Management (EVM) governance, tailoring & establishment of a Community of Practice (CoP) for the network of Project Controls Managers across MADG • Co-ordination of 'lessons learned’ as part of a continuous improvement culture • Attendance & support to the project contract status review (CSR) meetings where appropriate • To assist the Director of Programme Controls in the design & implementation of a Project Controls Apprenticeship Scheme for MADG • Support & deputise for the Director of Programme Controls (as necessary) • Operational responsibility for the MADG Integrated Business Planning process (IBP)
Working as part of a central Project Management & Controls Office (PMCO), together with other Head of Project Control Disciplines (ie Risk/Change & Planning), ensure:
Governance of the central Project Controls BMS processes, Life Cycle Management, training provision & independent audits are conducted
Governance, training & independent audit of Project Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS), including:
standard EVM reports, periodic / cumulative variances to cost, schedule & EAC, performance trend metrics conducting independent 'deep-dive' analysis investigations -working with the PM's, Schedulers, Work Package Managers & Finance team to undertake scenario & recovery planning -setting up & co-ordinating independent assessments of the Project baseline & maturity via an appropriate IBR team (Independent Baseline Review) • Independent Support to Project Reviews, with attention to integrity of monthly reporting pack content, adherence to report templates, synthesis of pack content (including R&O / Milestone slip charts, Risk waterfall charts, contingency status, EVM data, latest schedule forecast dates & consolidation of revised Estimates to Completion)
• Working with the Head of Risk / Change Management to ensure the synthesis of risks and opportunities, mitigation action status & topicality, Quantitative Schedule Risk Analysis (QSRA) & Quantitative Cost Risk Analysis (QCRA) reporting
• Working with the Head of Risk / Change Management to ensure the Integration of Project Change Management with the other elements of Project controls (including schedule impact, Cost impact, Change Boards & Project PMB updates)
Governance, training & independent assurance of Cost & Budgetary Control, ensuring that:
budgets & cost are regularly reviewed & controlled by the respective work package managers (IE in conjunction with finance) -Cost variance reporting is robust & synthesised -Periodic “bottom-up” EAC refresh exercises are conducted & supported
• High energy individual, with ability to self-motivate and motivate a team towards a solution oriented accountability culture• Confident and diplomatic with an ability to create, influence and foster working relationships internally and with customers at all levels of the business• Fully competent communicator (verbal & written briefs/reports/presentations) both internally and externally to management, customer and suppliers• Self-motivated, creative with the ability to produce accurate work under pressure while continuing to meet deadlines • Proven Leadership with good team management skills
• Experience in leading/implementing & delivering project controls services • Subject matter expertise in the application of Project Controls tools & techniques • Life Cycle Management experience including Design, Development, Manufacture, Assembly, Integration, Test & Support, • Aerospace / Engineering / Manufacturing Industry experience • Internal & External Customer & Stakeholder Management • Experience in a technical environment within a relevant industry (Aerospace / Defence a distinct advantage) also with MoD experience a benefit
• Educated to Honours Degree level in a subject with clear relevance to Project Management & Controls. • Professional accreditation with the APM preferred (or equivalent level of professional accreditation).
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either a SC (Security Check), Disclosure Scotland Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.
Posted 43 days ago