Job provided by Tesco
Share this job on social:
About the job
The Role – Systems Engineer – Linux
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
• Architect, Design and Deliver solutions using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, I implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. I will resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
• Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Technology Data Centres
• Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
• Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications to infrastructure
• Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
• Collaborate with Software Engineers to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
• Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level. I ensure that my own team’s designs are of a high quality and I understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
• Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
• Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
• This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
Key Skills and Experience
You’ll need to have demonstrated experience of:
• Installation, configuration and administration of estate of at least 50 Linux servers
• Previous experience working in a DevOps environment and automating Infrastructure solutions.
• Previous experience of designing delivering a Software Defined Data Center
• Previous experience at designing solutions for large complex global organisations.
• Stakeholder Management
• Technical Skills.
o Linux – sysadmin, installation and configuration.
o Scripting / coding skills – Bash, Python or similar
o Networking – TCP/IP, routing, DNS, DHCP, Loadbalancers
o Desired State Configuration Tools – one of Chef, Ansible or Puppet
o Containers – Docker, lxc, kubernetes.
o Public Cloud – AWS, Azure, Google
o Creating CI/CD Pipelines for delivery
• Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
• Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
• Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.
- Colleague Discount Card (including a second card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- An annual bonus scheme where you could achieve up to 3.5% of eligible 2017/18 earnings.
- Childcare Vouchers
- Share Schemes
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & - Tesco Bank
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses
- Sunday and Out of Hours premiums available