Job provided by Workvine
Share this job on social:
About the job
Oxford BioMedica is a pioneer of gene and cell therapy and our work is helping to deliver life changing treatments.
Gene and cell therapy is the treatment of disease by the delivery of therapeutic DNA into a patient's cells, providing long term and potentially curative treatments for a wide range of diseases. With the potential to transform medicine, the sector holds significant promise with the first commercial products now launched and others rapidly approaching the market.
Our recent successes are driving significant growth. As such, we are looking for a Laboratory Support Assistant to join our Cell Engineering group. The purpose of this role is to support the laboratory personnel within the Research Group by ensuring that the research laboratories are run to the highest standard.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Waste Management
- Ensure adequate stocks of Virkon and IMS are available.
- Collect dirty glassware and transfer to central services.
- Ensure waste from sink areas are removed in a timely manner.
- Remove all waste from laboratories.
- Cleaning and Equipment maintenance
- Be responsible for and maintain cleaning schedule for all equipment within the laboratory (Incubators, Microbiology Safety Cabinets, Waterbath).
- Ensuring that floors are being cleaned monthly by selected contractors.
- Ensure that worktops are cleaned and labcoats changed once per month.
- Liaise with Laboratory Management to facilitate servicing of Equipment.
- Liaise with Laboratory Management and Engineering departments to ensure timely resolution of equipment maintenance issues.
Be responsible for stock take in laboratories for all consumables
- Be responsible for ordering day to day consumables using the IFS ordering data base.
- To restock laboratory consumables after ordering.
- To work along side Warehouse staff to achieve the above.
- Ensure communal laboratory consumables are prepared and aliquoted e.g. sodium butyrate.
- Prepare plasmid DNA by bacterial transformation and Qiagen mega prep.
- Maintenance of cell lines where required.
- Support sample barcoding/recording and maintain relevant databases.
- Communicate clear and concisely in a polite and timely manor.
Key skills and requirements:
- To be proactive and well organised.
- Ability to follow instructions written and verbal.
- Must be a team player with a positive willing approach.
- Diligent with attention to detail.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to communicate well on all levels, including written English.
- A team player.
- Legible hand writing.
- Enjoy working in a lively busy team
No agencies please