Senior Data Scientist - ADAPT
Whiteley, Hampshire, England
Permanent (Full time)
Job Title: Senior Data Scientist - ADAPT
Job Location: UK – Whiteley - Hampshire
Job Code: A#########
About the role:
Aviation Data Analytics for Pilot Training (ADAPT) is an R&D project by L3Harris to redefine the pilot training journey, using data to make training more effective and support the move towards Evidence Based Training and Competency assessments. We are building a cloud platform which collates data from Simulators, Instructors, Black Box Flight Data Recorders and Training Assessments and utilises Data Science techniques and Machine Learning models to extract key insights which will help Instructors more quickly identify root cause issues and Pilots in understanding their performance.
As a Senior Data Scientist you will conduct multi-flight analysis across large datasets of flight data to discover insights into our customer’s operations. You will develop data analysis tools and help integrate ML models into FDS products, produce customer friendly presentations of analysis results, use flight data to help improve aircraft and pilot performance and monitor flight safety to help create safer skies
Day to day responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
- Delegate jobs to other Data Scientists in order to realise the successful completion of projects.
- Monitor the performance of Data Scientists and providing them with tactical advice if needed.
- Use data science techniques to solve the problems of internal and external customers.
- Research, prototype, develop and implement machine learning algorithms to discover trends and patterns to help create safer skies.
- Liaise with customers for ad-hoc data analysis and development of predictive models using a variety of data sources.
- Present the results of the analyses and models in a customer friendly manner.
- Liaise with the software development team to integrate ML models into FDS products.
- Help automate business processes using ML techniques to help free up staff to work on more complicated problems.
- Actively contribute to improving the data science process at FDS.
- Support the analysis team in their use of multi-flight analysis such that they may help their customers identify flight safety risks.
- Present and attend conferences relevant to ongoing work.
- Recommend new data analysis approaches where applicable.
- Stay informed about developments in the Data Science and adjacent fields to ensure that outputs are always relevant.
- The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Outstanding supervision and mentorship skills.
- Capacity to foster a healthy, stimulating work environment that frequently harnesses teamwork.
- Good understanding of statistics and ability to communicate statistical concepts to those with little experience.
- Experience of unsupervised and supervised learning techniques.
- Experience of time series analysis.
- Python development in Jupyter Notebooks using pandas, NumPy,SciPy, Matplotlib, seaborn, scikit-learn.
- Understanding of database structures and can create complex SQL queries.
- The ability to clean/transform database content and to analyse and interpret data.
- Ability to plan work and meet deadlines.
- Clarity of communication and strong problem-solving skills.
- Use of big data frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, Dask)
- Knowledge of ML experiment workflow tools . ModelDB, MLflow, DVC.
- Knowledge of Bayesian modelling.
- Knowledge of Keras, Tensorflow, Recurrent Neural Networks, Convolutional Neural Networks, Reinforcement Learning and intelligent agents.
- Knowledge of Aviation and Safety systems.
- Knowledge of computer-based training systems.
- Python / NumPy / Pandas / C
- Django / Flask / Celery / RabbitMQ
- Linux / Docker / Kubernetes
- AWS & Azure
- Competitive salary based upon experience, plus benefits package including company pension, travel insurance and healthcare.
- The work will be carried out at the L3Harris Flight Data Services offices in Whiteley, Hampshire.
- Flexible working arrangements are available. Overseas travel may be required.
Note: This Job Description is not intended to be all inclusive. It is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job title. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role. The employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws