Associate Software Engineer, Test
Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England
Permanent (Full time)
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing!
At Blackline, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications.
Since being founded in 2001, BlackLine has become a leading provider of cloud software that automates and controls the entire financial close process. Our vision is to modernize the finance and accounting function to enable greater operational effectiveness and agility, and we are committed to delivering innovative solutions and services to empower accounting and finance leaders around the world to achieve Modern Finance.
Being a best-in-class SaaS Company, we understand that bringing in new ideas and innovative technology is mission critical. At BlackLine we are always working with new, cutting edge technology that encourages our teams to learn something new and expand their creativity and technical skillset that will accelerate their careers.
Work, Play and Grow at BlackLine!
Make Your Mark:
BlackLine empowers our team members to be change agents and are always seeking new and innovative ways to solve problems. We are experiencing explosive growth and looking for passionate and talented people to join our team.
As a n Associate Software Engineer , Test you will play a crucial role in the success of our company by contributing to, as well as driving, high-quality releases and value-delivery to our customers. In this role, you will be testing web-based applications and RESTful APIs to support our high-transaction and big-data SaaS applications. Your attention to detail, tenacity, creative problem-solving and forward thinking will directly impact the company's success, as well as the success of your peers across the organization. By following and evangelizing quality standards, as well as overall SDLC processes as they relate to quality, you will be able to affect meaningful change in the organization and help drive our culture to a quality and customer-first mentality.
If you have a passion for delivering products that make a difference, are driven to make things better in all that you do and are eager to work in a collaborative agile environment where Developers are dedicated to solving customer problems and innovating, then we want to talk to you.
You’ll Get To:
Create UI and API automation utilizing tools and frameworks already in place to ensure future automation coverage of all features.
Assess risk, suggest improvements, and follow mitigation strategies for projects with complex requirements, technical designs, dependencies, and data sets.
Execute QA forensics and detailed root cause analysis of test failures, reported defects, and performance and scalability issues.
In conjunction with leadership, execute on QA compliance objectives and appropriate metrics to measure success.
Follow established quality standards, processes, and procedures to ensure the highest quality deliverables.
Collaborate with QA, Product, and Engineering leadership, as well as other stakeholders, to ensure that all user stories, product definition, technical specifications, and acceptance criteria are clear and follow the established processes and standards.
Author high-quality test plans and test cases.
Partner with leadership, peers, and sister-teams throughout the organization to support meaningful change and adaptation, with a constant focus on improving the what and how of Quality within BlackLine.
Roles and Responsibility
- Autonomy - Follows instructions and may need frequent help and guidance from team members .
- Complexity & Ambiguity - Works on well-define d, low complexity tasks defined by senior team members.
- Coding & Debugging - Foundational skills in data structures, algorithms, and in one or more programming language. Able to follow coding guidelines. May need help with debugging.
- Design & Architecture - Aware of service level design.
- Business Acumen & Strategy - Follows organizational standards and has growth mind set to learn new technical and business concepts.
- Influence - Mostly works with immediate team members and is influenced by them.
Years of Experience in Related Field:
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in Web Application, SaaS, and RESTful API testing.
- 2 + years of hands-on test automation development.
- 2 + years of hands-on working experience in traditional OOP programming languages, specifically Java and/or C .
Education: BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
Technical/Specialized Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
A solid computer science foundation including data structures, algorithms, and design patterns, with a proven track record of software design and architecture of complex systems.
Intermediate understanding of programming languages, preferably Java and C .
Intermediate knowledge of SQL, including multi-table JOINs and stored procedures.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with engineers, product owners, and development managers.
Full working knowledge and experience with the range of quality concepts and best practices ( ., black, white, and gray-box testing; performance; bug-tracking; debugging tools, etc.).
Experience working with big-data and/or high-transaction applications is a strong plus.
Prior hands-on experience with tools such as Selenium or Cucumber are strongly preferred.
Prior working experience in Agile, specifically SCRUM, is preferred.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
W orking Conditions
Thrive at BlackLine Because You Are Joining:
- A technology-based company with a sense of adventure and a vision for the future. Every door at BlackLine is open. Just bring your brains, your problem-solving skills, and be part of a winning team at the world's most trusted name in Finance Automation!
- A culture that is kind, open, and accepting. It’s a place where people can embrace what makes them unique, and the mix of cultural backgrounds and varying interests cultivates diverse thought and perspectives.
- A company who believes in providing the best possible service to its clients, and that starts with offering amazing perks to its employees. These perks include 100% coverage for healthcare, vision, and dental, 401(k) matching, ESPP, food, drinks, games, and so much more!
- A culture where BlackLiners’ continued growth and learning is empowered. BlackLine offers a wide variety of professional development seminars and inclusive affinity groups to celebrate and support our diversity.
BlackLine is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, race, age, religious creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, colour, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, medical condition, genetic information, or any other protected class or category recognized by applicable equal employment opportunity or other similar laws.
Work is primarily sedentary in nature; no special demands required.