Westminster Abbey, Greater London, England
Permanent (Full time)
Job Title: Kitchen Porter
Salary: up to £18,500 dependant on experience
Hours: per week
Location: St John’s Wood
We are looking for a Kitchen Porter to join our Catering department. Within this role, the candidate will carry out a wide range of general catering duties in an efficient and effective manner within the wards, ensuring the highest food safety standards at all times to patients.
The Catering Department provides and effective and efficient food service within the wards and hospitality events, ensuring the highest food safety standards at all times to patients, visitors and staff.
Located in leafy St John’s Wood on the Jubilee line, minutes from Central London, our independent private Hospital has just been rated the number one in the country for care in the latest Bupa survey. Uniquely, all profits fund our onsite Hospice, St John’s.
Am I the right person for this Kitchen Porter role?
Good general education, GCSEs, or equivalent
Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
Basic Health & Safety Certificate
Literate and numerate
Basic Computer Skills
Working in a healthcare environment
Customer focused environment
Previous experience in catering/portering services
Experience in Food Hygiene Standards
Using catering equipment such dishwashers
Stock take experience
Customer care skills
Knowledge of HACCP
What are the Responsibilities of this Kitchen Porter role?
* This includes service of meals, delivering meal trolleys to the wards, putting catering supplies away in the correct areas, using stock rotation and keeping the kitchen area and equipment clean as per the cleaning schedules using correct colour coded equipment
* The role will include assisting with food deliveries (patients and hospitality events), stock rotation, recording delivery temperatures and storage
* The Kitchen Porter is accountable to the Head Chef
* Opening and closing of the department
* Delivery of food to wards and clinical areas
* Support with the delivery/ collection of crockery/ cutlery/ food daily and during hospitality events
* Adhere to cleaning schedules, ensure that check lists are completed and in date
* Ensure that food delivery trolleys are thoroughly cleaned (inside and outside)
* Assist with the cleaning of pantries located in wards and outpatients
* To collect the food bins from designated areas empty the bins by placing its contents in the correct waste stream. Clean the bins and return them to the correct areas
* To empty all the bins in the main kitchens and ensure that these are free from debris
* Place waste in the compactor area, ensure that surrounding areas is hygienically clean to avoid pests being attracted to the area
* Dishwashing tasks for example: loading and unloading of dishwashers (crockery/ cutlery/ glassware) including drying and correct storage
* Ensure dishwashers and pot wash area is hygienically cleaned
* To sweep and mop kitchen floor, pot-wash area and outside corridor using the floor machine
* Ensure that the COSHH cupboard is clean and fully stocked
* Assist with the cleaning of main kitchens (main hospital and Butterworth Centre)
* Assist with stock take when necessary
* Cleaning of walking in fridges when required
* Report any maintenance faults any faulty equipment to Senior Managers
* Any other duties designated by the Supervisor / Head Chef/ Senior staff
Why apply for this role as Kitchen Porter?
At our organisation we are passionate about providing our employees with a supportive and engaging environment. As well as ongoing development and training, we offer our employees a wide range of benefits; from 27 days annual leave, generous private healthcare cover, contributory pension schemes – including continuation of the NHS pension.
Working with us, all eligible employees receive;
Competitive pay with progressive band structuring
Private healthcare cover of up to £20,000 per year
Ongoing training and development programmes
Discounts at local, national and online shops
Interest-free season ticket loans
Cycle to work loan scheme
Employee “Service Excellence” recognition rewards
If you are ready for a new challenge and relish the chance to become part of a successful, forward thinking organisation then we would love to hear from you