Bedford - This Area Only
Permanent (Full time)
The RPS Bedford Laboratory has two new openings for Graduate Extraction Chemists to support our expanding UK laboratory business These are permanent roles. You will start on a base salary of £18,500 but as part of the Extraction Development scheme you can see your salary rise to £22,000 through regular performance reviews.
This is an important role, being responsible for the preparation and extraction of samples, covering a wide range of environmental contaminants in different sample types. Working under a Senior Analytical Chemist, the Extraction Chemist will manage their own workload and collaborate closely with colleagues in a small team to ensure that work is completed on time and to the required standards of quality.
This position is ideally suited to a recent Graduate in Chemistry or closely related subject and will build your experience of working in a fast-paced, commercial laboratory environment with rapidly changing priorities.
It’s a great time to join RPS – we’re investing in our growth to meet the demands of the market and we need talented people to help us deliver our goals.
* Follow established quality procedures to perform various types of sample extraction and preparation.
* Maintain a working stock of consumables and chemicals, which are essential to perform daily activities and tasks.
* Responsible for conducting a range of laboratory checks, including calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
* Work as part of a team to ensure that all other routine laboratory tasks are completed to ensure that the Laboratory operates smoothly.
Your Skills and Experience
* Demonstrable knowledge of basic laboratory skills and techniques, including use of pipettes, balances, syringes, titrations, dilutions etc.
* Good time management skills, attention to detail and ability to cope under pressure.
* Ability to follow written and verbal instructions, seeking advice where necessary.
* Understanding of Quality Control/Quality Assurance processes and their importance within a laboratory environment.
* Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as part of a team.
* Good inter-personal and communication skills.
The job may involve the following possible hazards:
* Manual handling;
* Handling chemicals and solvents;
* Handling samples that are potentially biohazardous;
* Handling of foods, including nuts
All job offers are subject to a basic criminal history check and health check relevant to the role being applied for.
What we offer you
We’ll provide you with a flexible, friendly and creative environment to challenge and develop your skills. You’ll be working in our brand new, purpose-built laboratory facility which uses state of the art analytical equipment.
We support our people to innovate, collaborate and build meaningful careers while you work on a variety of interesting projects.
RPS is a leading global professional services firm of 5,000+ people. We define, design and manage projects that create shared value in a complex, urbanising and resource-scarce world. Connecting with our global expertise we make it easy for our clients to create winning solutions for their communities and their clients. By being confidently pragmatic we solve problems that matter. We make complex easy.
Our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Mindful that a truly inclusive organization must make appropriate use of talent on a global basis and without unnecessary barriers, we are committed to embedding diversity and inclusion principles in all People processes in order to be as diverse as the communities and clients we work with, thereby securing, developing, and retaining the best available talent for the company’s future.
Our approach to Diversity and inclusion
Our people live our purpose, deliver our promise, and demonstrate our behaviours every day. Our behaviours define who we are. Developed by our people, they underpin everything that we do. They create the memorable experiences we are known for and make RPS a great place to do great work.
‘Stronger Together’ is one of our five core behaviours and it is inherent in creating an inclusive workplace:
‘We are respectful, acknowledge diversity, and recognise the potential and contribution of everyone. We bring out the best in one another, always assuming best intent. People who learn and grow thrive in our business, sharing in our success.’
We have a Preferred Supplier List of trusted partners to assist us when required and do not acknowledge any speculative CVs or unsolicited candidate introductions from agencies not on this list. Please refer to the careers page on our website if you require any further information