Here at National Highways we manage one of the world's most advanced road networks. We care about the journeys our customers make, we want them to get home safe and well, and we want to connect our country to benefit our economy, business and our customers We exist to connect the country, because we believe a connected country is better for everyone. Join us as a as a Highways Inspector and you will be responsible for completing inspections of designated route(s) and highways assets in line with agreed inspections schedules, procedures and standards.
Reporting to the Inspector Team Manager you will join a team of Inspectors undertaking safety and asset condition inspections, survey works and signing off on the quality of asset repairs work. You will be required to undertake inspections independently or with another member of the team.
In line with the duties of the role you will be required to travel across designated route so a valid driving license is essential. The role will also have on duty responsibilities. You will be required to work unsociable hours, Bank holidays and weekends on a rota basis, or as determined by the Team Manager.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment.
What you'll be leading on
- Carrying out cyclical and ad-hoc highways asset inspections in line with agreed timescales and procedures, ensuring that asset condition and all inspection findings, such as defects and defect causes, are recorded in the relevant systems in line with data capture standards.
- Inputting into the development of inspections plans and schedules, and support in arranging road space to undertake inspections.
- Carrying out regular Safety Inspections and patrols, reporting and raise work requests for high priority safety defects on the network.
- Monitoring event signage and illegal signage on the network, escalating issues in line with agreed procedures
- Supporting regional engineering teams in the development of asset maintenance and investment plans, by ensuring asset condition and inspection information is gathered, up to date and available at all times.
- Ensuring the health and safety needs and wellbeing of customers and employees are fully considered and accounted for throughout the planning and delivery of each service activity.
To be successful
- Knowledge or experience of undertaking asset condition inspections in the highways sector or equivalent inspection experience in other sectors
- Knowledge or experience of highway asset maintenance
- Good understanding of H&S implications of working on high speed roads applicable to highway maintenance works
- Knowledge of highways law applicable to the inspection and maintenance of highways
- Experience in data collection and use of data capture devices
- Good IT skills including knowledge of or experience in using asset management databases is desirable
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We're proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you'll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.