Alderley Park, Cheshire East, England
As part of the Software Engineering team you will be working closely with our Informaticians and Data Scientists. You will be helping to leverage the tools and techniques they design into products that can be, initially, used within the company, then extended to our partners and ultimately as commercial products. You will be helping the team solve problems around data management and processing, along with then working to productise the team's efforts
All our Engineers are uniqueand bring not only enthusiasm but also a vast range of experience andknowledge. A new member to the team will be accomplished in building a diverserange of software and tools, from hardcore data crunching engines to frontendweb interfaces and should be able to demonstrate this through a portfolio ofwork. They should also be able to discuss and show knowledge of differentdesign patterns as well as the coding paradigms of procedural, object orientedand functional programming.
Our infrastructure is just asimportant as our code and we leverage this to get the most we can out of ourproducts. This includes designing for resiliency, redundancy and scalability, anew engineer should be willing to jump right into the discussions and throwtheir opinion into the mix as well. Providing insight into new tools andtechniques as well as being able to provide cogent arguments as to why a triedand tested solutions may be better
Our codebase is diverse, witha focus on selecting the right tool for the job. We are not afraid to refactorand adapt to meet our goals. We fail fast and iterate our way to success!Picking the right languages, tools & infrastructure is as important to usas how well you can write an abstraction of a dependency injection container.This should include a strong willingness to adapt to meet the needs of thebusiness as our focus on the right tool for the job is paramount and all ourengineers are expected to cross train in all the languages & tools we workwith.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Design & build scalable adaptive software from both inception and from existing POC solution.
- Maintain existing solutions
- Provide support to the Informaticians and Data Scientists with their own development
- Work with the team to successfully deploy solutions to compute infrastructure
- Write and document clean, maintainable source code
Qualifications and Experience:
- Good knowledge (if not commercial experience) of Python is essential as it is our Data Scientists tool of choice!
- Expertise and commercial experience in at least one of the following: NodeJS, Go, Java, Scala
- Demonstrable experience in building web interfaces using any of: Angular, Polymer or React with a suitable data layer. Other JS frameworks are acceptable
- An understanding of good software design principles and knowing when to apply them or not.
- Have a good grasp of relational, document/object, graph and big table databases how to best utilise the different options to meet the needs of the business.
- Commercial experience in developing software solutions or equivalent Computer Sciences/Software Engineering related degree
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong organizational techniques, including the ability to handle a variety of tasks in a fast-paced environment
We stronglyencourage you to submit examples of your code that you have created with yourapplication. These should be provided as links to public facing source coderepositories, I.e. Github along with the name or email address that your workwas committed under.
Theapplication process will include a technical challenge to assess your level ofexpertise, experience and seniority. It tests not only your ability to createsolutions but also how you think and communicate.
Posted 16 days ago