Mid - Senior Level Employment Associate
Greater London - This Area Only
Permanent (Full time)
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. Embracing new trends and harnessing decades of experience, we’ve earned our place at the forefront of the legal industry. Our partners are recognised as leaders in their field and our deals and cases often make headline business news. As a result, we’ve developed a reputation for delivering exceptional legal solutions that not only solve our clients’ challenges but exceed their expectations. By embracing new ways of thinking, integrating technology into our everyday work and putting our people first, we’ve become known for leading by example.
Join our team and you’ll be part of a flexible, inclusive culture underpinned by openness and consistent support for one another. Our culture enables people to define their own career path based on their strengths, while our ambitious outlook ensures we continue to provide each person with opportunities to thrive. We’re also committed to supporting a culture that drives diversity and inclusion. Every day, we’re working hard to create an environment where you feel you can bring your authentic self to work. To be comfortable and confident to be who you are in the workplace. To feel like you belong. If you’re ready to play your part in defining the future of law: It’s Time.
Recognised as one of the market’s leading employment practices, we have experience of working with clients on both contentious and non-contentious work including employment documentation, workplace issues and policies, data protection, discrimination, restructuring and redundancies, executive issues, employment-related litigation and the impact of corporate M&A and restructurings.
Many of our clients are heavily invested in globalisation and continue to expand their international platform. This means that workplace issues have multiple dimensions: a strategic level, a cross-border level and a local dimension on the ground. With employment lawyers located across Europe, the Middle East, Asia Pacific and the ., we work in partnership with clients to develop individual, sophisticated and creative solutions to modern workplace issues.
Our team is renowned for being at the forefront of using innovative tools to assist clients to meet their needs and challenges on HR-related matters. With a client-centric approach we cover not only standalone advisory and corporate transactional support but also provide clients with a more bespoke approach which includes providing training, regular legal bulletins and a broad range of value added services. We are committed to the development of best practice within employment and devote a considerable amount of time and resources to training our lawyers to ensure our clients receive the best, practical and robust advice.
- Employment Partners, Associates and the wider team
- Business Development Manager
- Wider A&O community
Role and responsibilities
- Providing strategic advice and guidance to clients
- Advising on restructuring programmes, employment contracts, HR policies, diversity initiatives in addition to general employee relations and employment related cases
- Managing employment tribunal claims in addition to corresponding litigation and mediation
- Acting as a business partner to internal practice groups, namely our Corporate department and their clients
- Attending client meetings
- Managing client expectations and project delivery appropriately
- Business development - development of personal plan; assistance with and implementation of business development campaign
- Drafting, reviewing and amending documentation
- Supervision of team members
- Qualified lawyer 3PQE+
- Deep technical knowledge with regards to employment law
- Strong transactional experience
- Strong litigation experience
- Exceptional client skills with experience representing senior executives
- Outstanding academic credentials
- Intellectual curiosity and versatility
- Self starter with the desire and ability to continuously acquire, build upon and share knowledge
- Detail-focused and self-motivated approach
- Strong organisational skills, with the ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Excellent client relationship skills
- Sound experience of operating at mid to senior level within a complex international organisation
- Strong commercial/business acumen with the ability to deliver creative and pragmatic solutions and advice
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interface at all levels and particularly to win the respect of the partner and fee-earner community, building strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Collaborative team player with the ability to develop and work in a fast paced, intellectually rigorous environment
- A person of sound judgment, able to establish a high level of credibility
Who we are looking for
- We are ideally looking for a highly motivated lawyer who combines good academic credentials with sound practical experience, good business judgement and strong interpersonal skills.
- Candidates should be articulate, show a genuine interest in the subject and be committed to their continuing development as a lawyer.
- We are looking for a lawyer with the potential and ambition to be a leader in their field and who takes responsibility for, and pride in, the team's work product. You should be keen to be primarily responsible for building and maintaining the client relationships assigned to you.