Head of Quality
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is one of the largest independent aerospace and defence companies in the world delivering innovation and excellence in engineering, support solutions and services in the air, on land and at sea.
Since 1909, we have been valued for our integrity, performance and customer focus which we have demonstrated through our innovative solutions and ability to deliver on time and to cost.
We specialise in the conversion and modification of military, civil and business aircraft, alongside defence vehicle engineering and shelter manufacture. Our capabilities include engineering design, manufacture, test and the provision of personnel, training and advice, whilst providing maintenance, integration and product support.
Marshall Aerospace and Defence Group is part of the Marshall Group of Companies that employs over 6,000 people with a turnover in excess of £2.7bn.
We are a respected total solutions provider for the military and commercial sectors.
You will join us at a crucial time as we deliver further improvements as part of our Quality function.
You will drive a positive and sustainable cultural change to focus on Quality and Customer Service.
In this key role you will take a proactive approach to right first-time quality to promote growth and enhance the reputation of the business through exceptional quality standards, customer service excellence and contribute towards a significant reduction in overall business costs.
A high calibre individual who can demonstrate a track record in Quality Management and leadership is required. You will be educated to degree level and have a proven track record formed in the aerospace & defence industry where high levels of compliance and integrity are demanded. Experience of working in a manufacturing environment is essential in addition to developing and maintaining robust quality assurance in readiness for internal, 3rd party external and customer audits is highly relevant.
Reporting to the General Manager and Group Head of Quality for regulatory and governance matters, this opportunity will suit a dynamic and focused individual who is looking to further their career.
- To promote a culture of Quality and Customer Service excellence.
- Improving business Quality and Customer performance, demonstrated by KPI improvement, through application of a consistence approach to Quality and Customer Service.
- Driving a continuous improvement mindset by coaching, mentoring and training the Quality Team and wider business to ensure the highest levels of qualifications, skills and competences.
- Driving CI in the areas of Quality and Customer Service excellence, acting as a leading role to develop the company cultural to that of a full ‘lean’ organisation.
- Providing assurance that the business Quality Management Systems meet all necessary requirements and are effective in application.
- Ensuring that all the quality certifications and regulatory approvals are being maintained adequately and effectively, Including AS9100, ISO9001, 14001 and 18001
- To ensure all activities, processes and procedures are carried out to the highest quality and accuracy standards.
- Provision of guidance and support on all matters relating to quality assurance, quality certifications, regulatory approvals.
- Responsible for managing a team of quality assurance, control engineers, inspectors and managing processes to meet AS9100D and NADCAP quality assurance standards
- Responsible for ensuring that all customer product and service issues are dealt with timely and effectively
- To conduct external audits of existing contract manufacturers and suppliers and conduct vendor assessment/selection for all new manufacturers, suppliers and providers.
- To host/support Regulatory Authority Inspections.
- Continuous Improvement of all Quality operations: an ability to self-audit.
- To lead, guide, evaluate and develop a high performing team to ensure company goals and targets are met or exceed and all relevant regulations adhered to.
- Develop and maintain effective business relations with all key stakeholders to meet business targets.
- An academic degree or equivalent, in a technical discipline, from a university or other higher educational institution recognised by the competent authority or QA based discipline.
- Relevant experience in a senior management role in Quality and industrial multi-site operations.
- Proven experience in the implementation of quality systems, processes and behavioural based improvement programmes.
- A proven track record in inspirational leadership and management of significant change.
- Experience in the management and control of departmental budgets.
- Passion and drive to lead our quality management approach, alongside clearly identifiable personal values that match our corporate values.
- Experience of working in a matrix environment.
- The ability to engage and influence internal stakeholders across the business.
- The confidence to challenge in a constructive manner.
- A proactive, energetic and positive individual who thrives on personal challenge and accountability.
- The ability to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of though and decisive authority.
A background in the defence and aviation industry and ideally within a composites background
The ability to review and interpret all elements of airworthiness regulation in both Military and Civil environments.
Experience in ‘Lean’ methodology and Continuous Improvement.
Experience in managing MOD List X security requirements
Familiar with IS0 14001 environmental and ISO18001 safety standards
*Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained, attainment of either an MoD SC (Security Check), appropriate UK Criminal Record Check or Foreign Police Check (whichever is applicable depending on duration of UK residency*) and, as applicable, a medical assessment. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Trade Control function approval. Clearance must be carried out against all applicable US export control authorisations.
Posted 19 days ago