Systems Engineer III - Parkway | Zoek UK
Systems Engineer III - Networks
Parkway, Welwyn Garden City AL8 6HG, UK
Permanent (Full time)
About the role
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of wider Infrastructure Team, Networks and Security Team design, develop, implement and operate all Network and Security infrastructure technologies that facilitate the both Infrastructure and the rest of Tesco Technology
Key activities include:
· Designs, develops, implements and operates the large-scale, high-capacity and highly resilient infrastructure solutions that allow the rest of Infrastructure, Technology development teams and business colleagues to consume Networks and Security Service.
· Setting the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for Networks Infrastructure Service in order to best deliver requirements of Tesco Technology and thus the business.
· Defining and continually overseeing standards and simplification across the entire Networks estate.
· Driving innovation through transformation and Continual Service Improvement
· Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the Technology and ultimately, business strategy
· Designs, develops, implements and operates Networks solutions in line with modern automation technologies where possible through self-service APIs. This solutions will allow Networks and rest of Infrastructure to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner, automatically handling failure seamlessly.
· Designing, delivering, implementing and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions to meet both technological, financial and business with, and advise, development teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements
· Collaborate with, and advise, development teams, to create appropriate infrastructure solutions to facilitate both their and ultimately the business requirements
You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
· Architect, Design and Deliver solutions using existing Infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
· Contribute to the Technology Roadmap for Tesco Technology Data Centres
· Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
· Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications to infrastructure
· Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
· Collaborate with Software Engineers to understand their requirements and assist them consuming Infrastructure in the most seamless way possible.
· Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level. Ensure that my own team’s designs are of a high quality and understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
· Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
· Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
You will need
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
- Skills / Experience RequiredExperience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations
- Analytical and structured approach to design, process and advanced trouble-shooting
- Understand Tesco Technology and business strategies and convert into technology roadmaps and innovative solutions that best achieve these goals
- Ability to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and Standards documentation
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity
- Builds and maintains positive relationships within and across teams
- Provides technical leadership within teams and mentoring for individuals
- Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies and concepts clearly and affectively to Senior & Jnr staff alike
- Take ownership, to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions like SDN and SDWAN
Required Technology Skills (Applicant should possess a min 3 of below)
- Excellent/CCNP levels of practical experience in designing/building, operating large-scale, Multilayer Switching and Routing using current CISCO equipment and IOS in a WAN and LAN environment using technologies like Multicast, Port Channelling, EIGRP, CDP, GLBP, VRF, QoS
- Very good knowledge of Wide Area Networking technologies and protocols, such as MPLS, WAN Optimisation (Riverbed Steelhead or Cisco WAS), CoS, DWDM. Ideally, with experience of dealing with major Global Comms suppliers
- Excellent technical knowledge of OSI network topologies, troubleshooting and design eg Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF, iGRP), DNS, DHCP, IP Address Management and TCP/UDP Port RFC & IEEE 802-based standards.
- Cisco/Arista switches deployed in Spine/Leaf topology
- High levels of VPN experience along with associated technologies and protocols eg IPSec, Public/Private Key Encryption, TLS/SSL, digital cert techniques like ISA/KMP GRE and DMVPN
- High levels of Load balancing & Global/DNS balancing technologies and techniques, preferably F5 hardware and/or software appliances also Cisco ACE or Citrix Netscaler
- Good understanding of Internet/Web Technologies both hardware and cloud based, like CDN, Proxy/Caching, SSL Offloading/Interception, URL forwarding/re-direction from suppliers like Akamai, Bluecoat, Zscaler,
- Good understanding of browser-based technologies and protocols like HTML, HTTP/HTTPS and XML
- Good understanding of Network Management technologies and protocols like SNMP, Netflow, IPSLA, along with practical experience of associated Network Management & Alerting Tools
Desired Technical Skills
- Good technical knowledge of Firewalls Platforms and Technologies, including build/configuration of some of the following Palo Alto (pref) and Cisco ASA/FirePower (pref), also Checkpoint, Fortinet along with associated Management Systems and Firewall rule analysis tools eg Skybox, Tufin
- High levels of knowledge of remote access and two factor authentication technologies and AAA solutions, eg RSA, Juniper/Pulse, Cisco ACS, Radius
- High levels of experience of Threat prevention and detection techniques and associated technologies like IPS, IDS, APT/SEIM, Secure Proxy.
- SDN/automation technologies/configuration tools like GIT, Chef, Anisble or Puppet, preferably in a DevOps environment
- Latest -based WiFi standards and technologies with practical design and installation of provider solutions and tools eg Cisco, Aruba or Meraki and all associated survey techniques
- Scripting knowledge (eg Python, Unix/Linux or PowerShell & Batch)
- Familiarity with VMware NSX and wider VMware software stack (vCentre, vRealize)
What’s in it for you
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to % of base salary.
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym.
- Subsidised Canteen.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we’re finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We’re driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world’s leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious road map of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you!