Port Health Support Officer - Felixstowe | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Port Health Support Officer
Felixstowe, Suffolk, England
£22183 - £31346/annum
Contract (Full time)
East Suffolk Council has an exciting Port Health Support Officer position available based in Felixstowe. You will join us on a full time, 18 month fixed-term contract (which offers the potential to become permanent in the future) and will work on a rotational shift pattern of 37 hours per week. In return, you will receive a competitive salary of £22,183 - £31,346 per annum, plus shift allowance.
Suffolk Coastal Port Health Authority is expanding!
It is a really exciting time to be joining our Port Health Team as we transform our services in response to the UK’s departure from the European Union, recruiting an additional 60 team members.
Our mission is the protection of public and animal health, carrying out a range of checks to ensure imported goods are safe for all of us in the UK.
East Suffolk Council is a great place to work and there are lots of benefits our employees can access. To find out more about why we are so proud of East Suffolk Council and to hear why our employees think it is such a great place to work, visit our website.
About the Port Health Support Officer role:
This role can offer you a great mix of both office-based administrative functions such as checking and processing import documentation, as well as out-of-office functions such as examination and sampling of foodstuffs (including allergens) and assisting with vessel inspections.
The out-of-office functions will include a degree of lifting, working in temperature-controlled environments and working at a height. No experience is required in the out-of-office functions, as full support and training will be provided. You will have the opportunity to work under your own initiative but also with others as part of our friendly team.
Initially, you will participate in a rotational shift pattern covering - 10pm weekdays and - at weekends which attracts a 14% shift allowance. This will soon be changing to 24/7 rota (day and night shifts), which will attract a % shift allowance on top of the base salary. This will be worked on a 12-hour rotating shift pattern (5 days on, 6 days off, 5 nights on, 6 days off), offering an attractive work-life balance. As this is a new service, the shift pattern will be kept under regular review to ensure it meets operational needs.
What we are looking for in our ideal Port Health Support Officer:
- Experience of office procedures, as well as good computer and communication skills
- A minimum of 2 A-Levels (or equivalent), ideally in relevant subjects (. Sciences and Food Technology would be advantageous)
- The ability to organise and prioritise your own workload, work in a systematic manner and solve problems (essential)
- The ability to be mobile with the flexibility to work across locations for which SCPHA has responsibilities when required – including Felixstowe, Harwich and Ipswich.
Benefits you will receive as our Port Health Support Officer:
- Attractive work life balance with the added benefit of 6 non-working days between shifts
- Great opportunities for training and development
- Generous leave entitlement (equivalent to 24 days of a year, increasing to 30 days after 5 years’ service)
- Local government pension scheme
- Free car parking
- Discounts on mobile phones, computers, holiday and travel, fashion and clothing, health and beauty and many other products and services
Why not click ‘apply’ today to find out more about the role and be considered as our Port Health Support Officer – we would love to hear from you!
Closing date: , Tuesday 15th June 2021
Interviews: Friday 25th June 2021