Data Solutions Architect
East London, Greater London, England
55250.0000 - 65000.0000
Permanent (Full time)
Ofcom is the regulator for the communications services that we depend upon in the modern world. We make sure people get the best from broadband, telephone and mobile services. We oversee the universal postal service and manage the radio-spectrum used by wireless devices and have regulatory powers over TV and radio.
We use data from a wide range of sources to understand the dynamics of the sectors we regulate and to provide insights to inform policy decisions. In addition to existing responsibilities, there are opportunities to contribute to our new duties relating to the regulation of Online Harms. This new area of work will expand the scope of data-driven activities in terms of the variety and volume of data, as well as the range of analysis we do.
Purpose of the Role
You will architect, design, implement and oversee the operations of data solutions that empower data professionals.
What you are expected to deliver in this role
You will have critical thinking and relevant skills and experience for enabling the transformation of data to create solutions that add value to business requirements. You will have a deep understanding of the full data lifecycle and the role that data plays across applications, machine learning, business analytics, and reporting.
You will identify and evaluate alternative architectures to meet the needs of business, the agreed requirements, and support the strategic direction of Ofcom.
Work with IT teams, business analysts and data analytics teams to understand data consumers’ needs and develop solutions.
You will support our on-going development activities and continually promote data innovation to achieve the business outcomes.
You will be a self-motivated and effective communicator and inform and influence senior managers.
Understand motivations behind projects and own technical activities to translate business requirements into a business value solution.
Take an iterative approach that responds to feedback and changing needs.
Perform deep dives to solve a specific solution or design challenges. Using trials or POCs to prove or discount an approach, to critic your own design.
You will ensure that the solutions you help deliver forms an integral part of the ICT estate; aligned with the wider architecture.
Provide documentation of solutions detailing the business, data, application and technology layers.
With colleagues, define data pipelines and data lakes, covering the ingression, ETL or ELT, and the cataloguing of data.
Takes overall responsibility for planning effective data storage, cost, security, quality, sharing, availability, retention and publishing within the organisation. Develops analytics policy, standards and guidelines
Ensuring successful transitions for solutions into production ensuring production support have the necessary knowledge and documentation to support the service.
Skills and Knowledge
- Robust Data and Technical/Solutions Architecture skills - sets direction for and possesses a deep understanding of architecture and strategies which integrate with industry trends . TOGAF.
- Hands-on experience with analytical tools and languages such as: Python, R, SQL, Azure Data Factory (and SSIS), Databricks, Power BI, Git etc.
- Experience of infrastructure: cloud-based technologies used for storage, data lakes, data warehouses, data streaming, Databases, ETL / ELT / Transformation.
- Experience of DevOps/DataOps methods in development of data solutions to ensure pipelines and processes can be automated and controlled.
- Experience with Cloud based data and analytical initiatives utilising Azure, AWS, Google Cloud or similar cloud services.
- Experience of working closely with Data Scientists/Analysts) to understanding their needs.
- Experience of implementation of statistical, AI, Machine Learning and Deep learning applications.
- Experience with integrations (., via APIs) with external vendors to share data between organizations.
- Experience of building and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues at all levels of an organization.
- Experience of working with external technology supplier and service providers to deliver business solutions.