Head of Network Capacity (Data Communications)
London, Greater London, England
Permanent (Full time)
Leads on research, design, development, and the integration of new and emerging technologies.
Head of Network Capacity (Data Communications)
The role will build the Network Economics function within CTO and balances the technology choices DCC will make with a cost modelling capability to support business case and technology strategy.
The function will support the choices for future expansion & innovation services that reuse the current platform and drive UK government decarbonisation agenda (. Electric Vehicle charging, remote sensor management) with insight of risk and cost benefit for demand and capacity management outside the original scope of the Smart Meter Infrastructure Platform.
The core function is to drive our opportunity to forward plan the best model of capacity & value for money for the long term, . in the 3 to 15-year horizon. Seeking to build out a long-term modelling capability to review the economics of technical options in that future horizon and so inform CTO technical strategy & DCC procurement decision.
The fundamental purpose of Network Economics function in the context of the DCC’s activities is to facilitate and drive long term cost & performance efficiencies
The head of network economics will be accountable for ownership, updates and maintenance for the network economics model, and will drive strategic technical leadership within the emergent Network Economics function, shaping the long-term modelling of the DCC eco-system in order to identify opportunities and threats and inform strategic decision making for DCC management
Head of Network Economics will sits within the Technical Function of the DCC (CTO Function).
- Define technology requirements to map out likely data & capacity demands for next 5- 15 years, taking into account Smart Meter estate plus future innovation services •
- Define a roadmap for developing & maintaining technical & economic models to allow for long term horizon planning and ‘course correction’ strategies to evolve the technical landscape to achieve the best long-term value for money.
Collaborate and Partner with Demand and Capacity Management team under operation and DCC contract and commercial team to seek output to drive all three function outcome for , best value contracts for Network strategy and efficiency and where relevant manage the procurement process of substitutional or evolutionary technology solutions to deliver that long term value:.
The successful candidate must be inquisitive, enthusiastic about technology and demonstrate sound judgement even in ambiguous situations, should have experience in shaping the Network Economics in telecom and demonstrated and drove strategic and efficiency within contracts and technology landscape.
The successful candidate should able to demonstrate expertise in designing and costing large-scale data communications systems to meet complex business requirements ideally from a large Internet service provider, telecommunications carrier or similar.
- Capture and maintain details of the existing technology portfolio for the DCC eco-system – inclusive of SMETS1, SMETS2, Centralised Registration Service and new service mandated.
- Deliver and maintain Network modelling capable of supporting decision making in two main contexts, Push” - Market & Regulatory Trend, Pull” - Technical Trends & Strategy
- Capture details of market and regulatory trends that will push DCC into new solution areas to drive efficient use of DCC platform.
- Capture details of technical trends and strategy where DCC explores implementing alternative technical solutions to drive innovation
- Identify and describe revised and new scenarios for modelling, setting out technical parameters for input into the Network Economics model
- Assess the outputs from the Network Economics model to inform DCC business and technical strategy
- Present modelling outcomes to DCC Senior Management, internal stakeholders and external stakeholders
- Build Network Economics model sufficiently flexible to explore multiple options in each scenario aligned with CTO and DCC strategy, and inform decision making by providing estimations of the total cost of ownership (TCO) of those options.
- Accountability and Ownership of Network Economics models being kept up to date as the DCC ecosystem evolves and the underlying Total Systems landscape expands.
Skills and Experiences - Essential
- Experience in designing large-scale data communications and data processing systems
- Experience in costing large-scale data communications and data processing systems
- Strong technical knowledge of the Smart Metering Implementation Programme and insight on dynamic of Network Economics modelling in telecommunication network.
- Experience in technology strategy formation to deliver business outcome.
- Ability to provide clear technical leadership whilst working collaboratively within DCC and CTO team
- Ability to self-manage and work independently, work to tight deadlines, prioritising workloads
- Assured presentation skills to senior leadership
- Attention to detail and an analytical ability to solve problems and appropriately prioritise activities
Skills and Experiences - Desirable
- Experience of working within or engaging closely with Central Government, Ofgem, or the Energy Sector.
- Knowledge of Smart Energy Code and DCC Licence Conditions
- Network Economics