Logistics Manager - Hemel Hempstead | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England
Permanent (Full time)
Smiths Detection in Hemel Hempstead is seeking to recruit a Logistics Manager to join the company on permanent basis.
In this role, you will manage all physical flow (incoming/internal and outgoing) from the reception of parts or raw materials through to dispatching the finished product to the customer (for the site, company).
You will be responsible for the reliability of inventory records in SAP and the adherence to material handling, packaging and storage processes.
You will give direction to the external logistics and transportation activities to ensure customer demands are met in accordance with international regulations for transportation of raw materials and finished products.
Duties & Responsibilities
* Management of the Site Stores/Dispatch areas, ensuring service flow levels to all customers are achieved and key team indicators are adhered to, this includes material flow into manufacturing based on lean ‘Pull’ principles and not ’pushing’ materials into the factory
* Comply with Health, Safety and Environmental protection regulations (in particular in handling waste)
* Achievement of On Time Delivery (OTD) and inventory turns targets for Operations
* Responsible for the delivery of the monthly financial plan for Freight spend, through effective logistics management
* Manage material flow to all on-site production and repair areas, to include receipt, storage and dispatch (internal and external) of goods/parts
* Manage material flow through stores/warehouse to dispatch
* Liaise with trade compliance function to resolve any export blocks (on dispatch) and finance function to resolve any credit blocks (on dispatch) & whilst continually seeking to improve the process and eliminate these issues
* Manage the annual inventory count process and ensure completion of weekly cycle counting
* Identify current wasteful processes and activities, drive the improvement of material flow throughout the site
* Lead the scheduling, management and follow up of supply chain, externalised transport in compliance with European and International regulations
* Responsibility for ensuring the 3rd party logistics team operates in line with contractual requirements
* Supervise service provider operations on a daily basis as well as monitoring transport and customs
* Sort out transport disputes and manage incidents within their scope, monitor and record incidents and launch appropriate investigations and 8D analysis
* Manage the short term load/capacity balance of resources by flexing where required across goods in, stores and dispatch
* Engage with Supply Chain management team and Operations to develop and implement appropriate strategies to maximise material flow performance
* Create a culture of continuous improvement throughout Stores/Dispatch team. Enable regular weekly 5S
Diversity & Inclusion
We believe that different perspectives and backgrounds are what make a company flourish. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, economic status, disability, age, or any other legally protected characteristics. We are proud to be an inclusive company with values grounded in equality and ethics, where we celebrate, support, and embrace diversity.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain / Logistics or equivalent experience, DGSA qualified
* Experience of SAP
* Great people skills enabling them to drive the team
* Experience of dangerous goods, radioactive materials movement
* Familiar with HSE impacts relating to the function
* Knowledge of the legal elements of transport
* Basic knowledge of the purchasing process
* Energetic, results oriented, driven individual
* Self-motivated, pro-active, punctual, shows attention to detail, adaptable
* Familiar with Lean problem solving tools (8D, statistical analysis), to eliminate waste
At Smiths we apply leading-edge technology to design, manufacture and deliver market-leading innovative solutions that meet our customers' evolving needs, and touch the lives of millions of people every day. We are a FTSE100, global business of around 23,000 colleagues, based in 55 countries. Our solutions have a real impact on lives across the planet, enabling industry, improving healthcare, enhancing security, advancing connectivity and supporting new homes. Our products and services are often critical to our customers’ operations, while our proprietary technology and high service levels help create competitive advantage. We welcome colleagues with a curious mind, who are happy with responsibility, enjoy a challenge and are attracted by the idea of working at a business with an almost 170 year history of innovation, and five global divisions, all experts in their field.
About Smiths Detection
Smiths Detection is a global leader in threat detection and screening technologies for aviation, ports and borders, urban security and defence. With more than 40 years of field-tested experience, we deliver the solutions needed to protect society from the threat and illegal passage of explosives, prohibited weapons, contraband, toxic chemicals and narcotics. Every minute of every day our technology and our people make the world a safer place. Smiths Detection is part of Smiths Group, a global leader in applying advanced technologies to markets in threat as well as contraband detection, energy, medical devices, communications and engineered components. Smiths Group employs around 23,000 people in more than 50 countries