Business - Greater London - This Area Only | Zoek UK | 224098
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Business Development Executive - Projects, Energy and Infrastructure
Greater London - This Area Only
Permanent (Full time)
We are currently recruiting for a BD Executive to join our Marketing department in London.
This role is focused on the implementation of the BD strategy for Allen & Overy’s preeminent Projects, Energy and Infrastructure practice. Our Projects, Energy & Infrastructure Group is recognised as being the market leader. In 2018 we were voted Global Legal Advisor of the Year by IJGlobal, Global Law Firm of the Year by Project Finance International and ranked first by deal volume in the Global Project Finance League Tables for Dealogic. The role will involve supporting the practice to win more work and the practice’s broader global activities working collaboratively across borders on sector driven BD activities (including pitches), campaigns and initiatives. This is a great opportunity for someone with an interest in the energy and infrastructure sectors looking for a broad role that spans one of A&O’s core products and two of its priority sector groups. The role requires a ‘hands-on’ approach to marketing and BD. Being adept at achieving results through detailed work and building relationships and influence within the practice will be essential to success.
- Senior BD Manager for Projects, Energy and Infrastructure
- Global Head of Business Development for Banking
- All partners and fee earners in the Projects practice
Peers across the wider business development, marketing and communications team.
Role and responsibilities
- Proposals – assist the team in preparing proposals, pitch presentations and credentials statements for London based proposals (and the wider global Projects practice when necessary). Capture proposal outcomes and prompt fee earns to act upon feedback.
- Systems/Processes – working with the rest of the team to manage internal marketing systems and tools, including tracking and reporting marketing budget spend, maintaining effective mailing lists, ensuring team members are prompted to review and update intranet and internet pages and coordination the reporting of statistics on completion of EPIC experience records. The role holder will have a key part to play in making suggestions to enhance the efficiency and operation of these tools across the BD team.
- Directories and awards – assist and lead in creating directory and award submissions in an effort to increase the market presence of the practice.
- Client events and hospitality – proactively identify appropriate client entertainment opportunities with fee earners and the CRM team. Challenge partners where appropriate on best use of hospitality opportunities and marketing budget spend. Track marketing spend against clients and individuals/teams within clients to ensure activities are aligned with overall strategic priorities.
- BD Tactics – responsible for the timeliness, consistency and quality of BD tools. Works with PAs to ensure email distribution and target lists are kept up to date, maintain updated collateral, credentials, contact cards and CVs, and track and ensure deal information is regularly and accurately captured in the firm’s experience system EPIC.
- Internal communications – oversee the maintenance of a flow of market/client intelligence (. pipeline deals, major players, market shares, key client contact moves and developments) to partners and associates.
- Campaign management – work with the BD and Communications team plus the partners, senior associates and the PSL team to execute integrated business development campaigns, where appropriate. Plan roundtables and client seminars to raise awareness of our expertise in key product areas. Liaise with the Communications/PR team to develop stronger external profile for the selected product areas.
- Additional projects – opportunity to assist in firm wide, local, departmental or practice area projects.
- Market and client research – to support business planning activities.
- Business planning and advice – provide focus to the delivery and direction fob D activities. Work with the Senior BD Manager and Manager on communication to and coordination of the internal global Banking BD community. Work with the global team to set out a clear set of priorities.
- Client account management – assist partners, associates and BD colleagues in the management of strategic client relationships and coordinate client targeting efforts across the sector. Work with the central client relationship management (CRM) team on specific client tactics, including secondee briefs, client presentations and training etc. Develop an in-depth knowledge of the key clients in the market. Ensure regular sharing of information on client activities across the product groups.
Key skills and experience required
- An understanding of, or desire to learn about, energy and infrastructure projects.
- Graduate (plus commitment to, or existing additional professional marketing/business qualifications)
- Relevant business development and marketing experience at an equivalent BD executive (other professional services organisation) level within a professional service organisation or in the sector.
- Enthusiasm to develop an in-depth understanding of the projects, energy and infrastructure sectors (in terms of the market, the deals, the key players, the competition, and the actual structures and approaches involves in this area).
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills – with partners, key associates, and business development colleagues, clients and suppliers. Ability to motivate fee-earners to engage on business development projects and to work with them to develop and implement business development plans.
- A proactive approach, balancing creativity, tenacity and energy.
- High attention to detail and strong client focus.
- Proven track record of achieving business objectives.
- Professional, creative and enthusiastic approach to all work and interactions.
- Ability to motivate, develop and inspire both the team and fee earners to deliver business goals and change behaviour where required. Draws on experience to manage change.
- Ability to work to deadline, juggle multiple projects and deliver under pressure. Ability to plan ahead, anticipate one’s own workload and knowing how to work with busy fee earners, balancing conflicting priorities and does not over commit to unrealistic deliverables – always manages expectations.
Who we are looking for
A commercial and ambitious individual with a proven track record in a similar professional services environment (or sector related organisation), driven to work in a high performance business development team at a global law firm where commercial insight, developing strong personal relationships and achieving tangible results are valued and recognised.
Allen & Overy LLP is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.