Graduate Trainee Customs Clerk
Witham, Essex, England
Permanent (Full time)
Simarco Worldwide Logistics is a family owned, award-winning distribution company providing a range of collection and delivery services throughout mainland UK. Established in 1997, we operate a large, wholly owned fleet of vehicles providing nationwide and local distribution.
We currently have a vacancy for a Trainee Customs Clerk based in our office in Witham. This is a permanent, full-time role.
Main purpose of the role:
Working as a Trainee Customs Clerk involves the preparation of Customs documentation so that commodities can enter or exit one country to another (import/export outside the EU), whilst ensuring all legal requirements are met in accordance with HMRC regulations.
* Assist with general import/export customs entries through Azyra and completed in Seqoia system
* Recognise client commercial invoice(s) and packing list(s) extracting data as necessary to complete import or export declarations
* Liaising with importers/exporters and internal operational colleagues to obtain mandatory information for import and export entriesEntering details onto specialised Customs software including CHIEF, CNS, Destin8, NCTS, NES etc
* Calculation and processing of taxes and duties to be paid by buyers of goods and also making those payments on behalf of clients
* Preparation of necessary import/export documentation, including T-documents, EUR1’s, Certificates of Origin (CofO), CVED and other cargo control documents, as well as discharge process of T-documents etc
* Liaise with Port Health or Customs officials in areas such as document checks, goods quarantine etc
* General office duties
* Application of duty refunds and tariff reclassification as appropriate and will assist with any appeals that may arise
* Be fully conversant with import and export Customs regulations, whilst keeping up-to-date with changes as they occur
* Inform customers on import and export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements and all other Customs related matters
* Ad-hoc duties/tasks as requested by your Line Manager or a Director.
Experience / Skills required:
* Relevant degree in logistics, transport, business or similar
* Office experience is desirable but is not essential. Full on the job training will be provided
* Experience within a logistics or transport company would be advantageous
* Strong communication skills are vital in this role both written and verbally, as you will be required to compile documentation and be able to interpret the legal requirements on behalf of customers in a clear and simple way
* Excellent interpersonal skills due to engagement with various agencies on a daily basis
* Complex problem solving and the ability to engage critical thinking skills will be required as well as the ability to actively listen and interpret concisely
* Although you will work as part of a team, you need to be self-motivating and be able to organise your work effectively and maintain records.
* Ability to operate windows-based applications and any other software that is standard within the industry
* Work in a fast-paced environment ensuring clearance processes are completed in a complaint and timely manner
* Excellent numerical skills are essential due to the calculation of VAT and Duty on behalf of HMRC
Monday to Friday, hour per week between 9 . – . (this includes a one hour meal break which is unpaid)
Salary and Benefits details:
* 30 days annual holiday, including Bank Holidays
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* Employee Assistance programme
* On-site parking
* Cycle to work scheme
**No Agencies please