Civic Centre, SM4 5DX
£18 - £18 Per Hour
Job Spec ? Licensing Officer
The Licensing team deal with over thirty different types of licences or registrations. These cover a range of activities from the supply by retail of alcohol, gambling, street trading and the provision of beauty treatments as well as others which are listed below:
- Premises licenses, club premises certificates and temporary event notices (administered under the Licensing Act 2003);
- Premises licenses, tracks betting and the registration of lotteries (administered under the Gambling Act 2005);
- Street Trading (administered under the London Local Authorities Act 1990 (as amended)) ;
- Massage and special treatment premises including the registration of hairdressers (administered under the London Local Authorities Act 1995, the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and the GLC (General Powers) Act 1967);
- Animal boarding, riding establishments, zoo licensing and pet shops;
- Licensed sex shops and lap dancing establishments (administered under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982);
- Scrap metal dealers and motor salvage (administered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013); and
- The registration of laundrettes (administered under the GLC (General Powers) Act 1973.
The aim of the Licensing Team is to create and maintain a safe environment for the variety of activities that take place for which it has legal responsibility to set conditions and to enforce regulations. This should be of benefit to both providers and users of licensed premises not only making users confident in the standards applied in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and the London Borough of Merton, but also to ensure there is a consistent standard between providers.
Our duties in all our services are carried out through a programme of compliance visits of trade premises, dealing with complaints and enquiries received. However, the Licensing Team can only investigate criminal breaches of the law when they take place within the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and the London Borough of Merton.
- Job content is listed below, in order of importance:
- To carry out compliance visits of premises to determine suitability for the grant, transfer or renewal of a licence and to report upon and advise upon these finding for a range of licensable activities administered by the Licensing Team.
To investigate complaints and to follow up on enquiries about licensing matters. To assess the situation and to initiate appropriate action in accordance with the Council's enforcement policy.
- To collate and prepare reports for submission before the Licensing Sub-Committee and to work and assist Democratic Services in their preparation to organise a hearing for contested licence applications.
To case manage enquiries, representations and statutory objections made in connection with licence applications. As part of the case management function the officer shall ensure all necessary administration functions, carried out by the administration support for the Licensing Team, has been carried out and that all interested parties both internal and external have been correctly informed within statutory requirements.
To ensure information and work undertaken in connection with the duties expected of an officer of the Licensing Authority is formally recorded on the central computer database used by both authorities (Civica Flare for the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames and M3 Northgate for the London Borough of Merton).
To prepare and present reports, witness statements and to collate evidence for submission to hearings before the Licensing Sub-Committee, Magistrates and Crown Courts where applications are contested or subject to an appeal.
To carry out, out of hours during performance visits of licensed premises in accordance with the needs of the service.
- To provide advice and to assist the Licensing Team Leader when offering advice to the Council on the discharge of its statutory responsibilities as the Licensing Authority.
Posted 7 days ago