Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England
Owlstone Medical's mission is to save 100,000 lives and save health care providers $1.5B. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath, we are looking for a scientist with experience in metabolomics and biomarker discovery to join the team.
About the Job: You will work within our multidisciplinary teams to maximize the success of our projects by providing technical expertise relating to biochemical process in cancer that drive the development of (volatile) metabolites.
The role will require you to provide input into a wide range of projects by evaluating candidate biomarkers and designing targeted biomarker discovery studies. You will be the go to person to provide a biological foundation supporting the tests that Owlstone is developing.
This full-time position will be based in our Cambridge office.
About You: You will have a PhD or equivalent in Analytical Chemistry/Metabolomics or similar, and will have strong experience of studies evaluating metabolic pathways in health and disease. You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of interpreting untargeted omics data in the context of disease pathways
- Ability to review metabolomics literature and evaluate pathways relevant to production of VOCs for specific diseases
- Understanding of common pitfalls with biomarker discovery and how to avoid them
- Excellent communication and data presentation skills with the ability to explain technical concepts clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively in a large, multidisciplinary team
- Preferably you have experience in working with mass-spectrometry in the context of omics data.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct scientific research from concept to publication
In addition, you will ideally be able to offer the following:
- Experience of statistical treatments of metabolomics data
- Track record of writing papers as evidenced by publications or submitted manuscripts in high quality journals
Most importantly, we are looking for people who can figure out what the right problem to tackle next is and who can show us that they get stuff done. Don't just tell us, show us what you've accomplished.
Posted 46 days ago