London, Greater London, England
Unspecified (Full time)
Job Title: DevOps Engineer
Company: Reach plc
Location: Canary Wharf
Reach PLC is one of the UK's largest media publishers, encompassing an award winning portfolio of 5 national titles, 130 regional titles and over 500 digital products. We are experiencing phenomenal online growth, and the acquisition of Local World in 2015 has strengthened our presence in the local markets. We're well on our way to becoming the dominant local player online in the UK.
With close to 140m monthly unique users across our web and mobile products, we are building exciting products that engage our customers. To further our ambitions in this area, we are working through a DevOps transformation and adopting a DevOps culture. This is an exciting time for the right candidate to join our team and help shape the tools, technology and culture.
Summary of role
You will be a DevOps Engineer within the team that will be instrumental in delivering the technology that leads to wider DevOps adoption across engineering. We are considering candidates with a range of prior experience in DevOps. Ideally candidates will be familiar with delivering solutions in AWS and have experience with the technologies referenced below. Whatever your prior level of experience you will be an excellent communicator and able to work effectively across product delivery teams to quickly deliver creative solutions.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Promote a DevOps culture and drive through the adoption of DevOps Engineering practices in particular by helping to automate the provisioning of our infrastructure, and all aspects of operations
- Share operational responsibility for our core Production platforms with sysadmins and developers
- Work with developers and sysadmins to help them upskill in DevOps Engineering practices and to architect solutions at AWS which ensure that our platforms are reliable, scalable, secure, and cost optimised
- Empower the product delivery teams by building tools and solutions to enable them to move more quickly and support our drive towards Continuous Delivery
- Implement centralised logging and monitoring solutions to give teams visibility on their production operations
- Be part of a support rota that provides support to our production environments.
Our infrastructure is in Amazon Web Services (AWS). To give a flavour of the types of skills and capabilities we're interested in below is a description of our technology.
We have a Java based Content Management System (CMS) and an associated Java based monolith that delivers substantive parts of the products to our end users. One part of our DevOps transformation strategy, part completed, is to provision, manage and evolve our monolithic platforms and CMS entirely via infrastructure as code.
Augmenting the Java monolith and of ever increasing importance to the business is a set of services, written primarily in Node.js. The trend is towards microservices architectures. Our preference, depending on the use case, for deploying these Node.js services, is via Docker or in a serverless way with AWS Lambda. The latter we use with event-driven architectures we have built utilising Amazon Kinesis and Amazon DynamoDB Streams. We use AWS CloudFormation to provision the infrastructure for these services.
With Docker our current preference is to deploy and orchestrate via the Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) but we are likely to soon take a look at the Amazon Elastic Container Service for Kubernetes (EKS) and AWS Fargate. These systems generate an ongoing need to improve our logging and monitoring solutions as well as ensuring that we have highly optimised and automated deployment pipelines for making changes.
If you are interested in working with these technologies you will find us an exciting and dynamic place to work.
Posted 106 days ago