Senior Python Software Engineer - Cambridge | 29354 | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Senior Python Software Engineer
Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England
£58000 - £62000/annum 5% Bonus + Benefits
Permanent (Full time)
Senior Python Software Engineer - Remote work with 1 / 2 trips pw to office
This is a 1 year FTC role
We are looking for a strong Python developer to help us build a next-generation network automation and provisioning framework connecting the European and Global Research & Education (R&E) networking community. You will contribute to the development of a single comprehensive circuit provisioning service referred as the Connection Service" (GCS) that will consolidate multiple circuit services under a single intelligent service provisioning tool.
The network is the largest and most advanced R&E (Research & Education) network in the world, connecting over 50 million users at 10,000 institutions across Europe. We provide users with highly reliable, unconstrained access to computing, analysis, storage, applications and other resources.
We want someone who is keen to learn high-level network concepts such as TCP/IP routing, BGP, MPLS and network topology models. Any knowledge that you already have in these areas will be a great advantage.
This is a collaborative role where you will enjoy regular contact with the solution architect, other software developers, and the product owners and stakeholders in an Agile environment.
Most of the work is done in a distributed environment with extensive use of online communication tools with the rest of the team members. You need to be able to work independently and coordinate with the other team members, be a self-starter, be able to set and work towards priorities, and see and work towards common objectives to make the whole project successful.
Python, Java, Flask, Twisted framework, psycopg2 and pip
Backend: python, ActiveMQ, Galera
Frontend: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Primefaces, Galera
Backend Analysis/Debugging: dashboard backed + ELK
* Architecting, designing, developing, testing, and implementing bespoke products in Python and related technologies.
* Responsible for leading definition of work and collaborating with product owners to break down high-level requirements into understandable pieces of work.
* Reviews process regularly, and identifies potential improvements, discussing them with team leads and management.
* Research new technologies and approaches to improve products, providing input into the technology roadmap.
* Agile / Scrum development.
* Configuring and managing applications on project workstations/servers.
* Ensuring high quality standards along with appropriate detailed documentation.
* Working in a collaborative environment interacting with various stakeholders.
* In addition to the GCS project, you will provide support for testing, reviewing, enhancing, and maintaining existing applications & provide level 3 support for developed systems.
* Other duties as may reasonably be required.
Occasional European travel will be required as part of this role.
Experience, Knowledge and Skills
* Experience of working in a small/medium sized software team using the full stack software development lifecycle.
* Good analytical mind with problem solving skills, ability to take ownership and experience in mentoring others and leading small projects.
* Extensive programming experience with Python and related technologies, such as Flask, Twisted framework, psycopg2 and pip.
* Able to demonstrate hands-on development experience in a Linux environment (CentOS 7/Ubuntu ).
* Good relational database experience, preferably with PostgresSQL.
* Understanding or willingness to learn network technologies, including main transport and routing protocols, especially IP, Ethernet, BGP, MPLS.
* Extensive experience working in environments using Git and CI/CD pipelines for development.
* Good understanding of Agile methodology (Scrum) and Test-Driven Development.
* Good understanding of secure coding principles.
* Awareness of data protection requirements and environment in Europe.
* Educated to degree level, or equivalent, in computer science or information systems.
* Good understanding and experience of GMPLS protocols suite, RFC4448 EoMPLS, Ethernet over GFP, and some basic familiarity with optical transport technologies.
* Good understanding of Puppet/Docker.
* Knowledge of end-to-end data transmission optimisation and troubleshooting.
* Understanding of Europe’s e-Infrastructures and their services.
* Experience with OpenNSA and NSI.
* Basic understanding of security, AA infrastructures & SNMP.
We are adopting a flexible-hybrid model which means that employees will work flexibly between a remote and office environment. Weekly visits to the office are required for most employees to support our values and collaborative culture and enable our teams to deliver great work. These arrangements will be role dependent and must be agreed with your line manager. For this role we anticipate that you will be required in the office at least 2 days per week. This requirement may change, and you may be required to attend the office on more days per week from time to time or on an on-going basis if the needs of the business change