social work assistant - Gloucester | 29354 | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
social work assistant
Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
Permanent (Full time)
Social Worker Grade: Grade 8
About the Job
· To work closely with children, young people and their families, other staff within the service function and partner agencies to provide support and protection for children and young people in need and at risk.
· To promote a range of services which carry out statutory duties as required by legislation and guidance.
· To assess the needs of children, young people and families to plan and implement suitable multi-agency interventions and service provisions to meet need and review outcomes.
This is what we need you to do...
· Build positive relationships with children and their families through direct work to ensure that their voices, wishes and feelings are heard.
· Provide a clear, accurate and holistic assessment of a child and their family needs in line with statutory and local guidance and in collaboration with the child, their family and other agencies.
Carry a case load of children and families in line with the experience of the social worker and the organisational needs of the service function, including children in need in child protection plans and children in care.
Carry a caseload which will progress in number and complexity and which meets the needs of the service.
· Develop SMART plans with children and their families to balance risk factors and needs to achieve outcome focussed interventions.
· To undertake direct work with children, young people and families in order to manage risk and achieve the sustained and positive outcomes identified in assessments and plans.
· Prepare high quality reports for relevant meetings and to present them to a variety of other professionals.
· Prepare high quality statements and paperwork for legal proceedings and be able to represent the child, young person and their families and the council in court and other settings.
· Update and maintain high quality case files on LiquidLogic ensuring that all key information about the child’s circumstances and plans are recorded within timescales and comply with the Data Protection Act.
· Continue to monitor and review the progress of plans and outcomes for children and young people.
Maintain up-to-date knowledge of legislation, statutory guidance, research and council policy and procedures to ensure our statutory responsibilities to children and young people are met.
Develop and maintain effective professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Provide written and verbal reports which are concise, evidence based and informative.
Build professional relationships with children and their families to safeguard children and promote positive outcomes.
Respond in a timely manner to all contacts from children and young people.
Maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the jobs, participate in appropriate training and development activities.
Be accountable for own practice ensuring it is of high quality and reflect bests practice.
Support, promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people.
· Registration with HCPC and enhanced DBS.
· Nature of the post requires flexibility to meet urgent work needs as they arise. This will inevitably entail some work outside normal office hours and other locations across Gloucestershire.
· Must hold a driving licence and have access to a car.
· Post holder must meet the competency based criteria.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Significant experience of working with children, young people and families.
· Experience of working in a social care setting.
· Experience of child protection and statutory child care.
· Experience of assessment and management of risk to children within practice.
Knowledge, Skills and Understanding
· Knowledge of all relevant legislation and guidance.
· Knowledge of recent developments in social care practice with children and families.
· Have an understanding of child focussed approaches to practice.
· Have an understanding and knowledge of outcome focussed approaches to interventions.
· Understanding of how the family justice system works.
· Knowledge of child development.
· Knowledge of assessment, guidance and process.
· Ability to analysis and address complex family situations.
· Effective assessment skills relating to work with children and families
· Effective verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to organise and prioritise workload in conjunction with line manager.
· Ability to work as part of a team.
· Ability to communicate effectively and creatively with children.
· Ability to work with staff and managers at all levels.
· Through assessment and planning ensure that the risk to children is understood and there is an active plan to manage this.
· Demonstrate good practice in the application and understanding of identity and diversity.
Able to cope and function effectively when working in a pressurised environment.
Non-judgemental and caring attitude.
Demonstrates Gloucestershire Leader/Employee Behaviours.
Education and Qualifications
MA/MSc/BA/BSc in Social Work or relevant HCPC approved qualification . DipSW, CQSW, CSS
Post qualification awards
Monitoring and ongoing development of outcomes
As part of the annual appraisal, outcome based targets will be developed in conjunction with the post holder and will supplement this job profile. The job profile will be subject to regular review and the council reserves its right to amend or add to the accountabilities listed above