Driver - Oxford | Zoek UK | 50f70f
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
This is a Nationwide opportunity with the RAF and you could be posted to a variety of areas around the UK and around the world on deployments
The Royal Air Force (RAF) is now looking to recruit Logistics Drivers. As a RAF Driver, you will operate many vehicle types, from cars and minibuses to cranes, articulated trucks, coaches and specialist vehicles (such as aircraft refuellers) to ensure RAF personnel, equipment and commodities are in the right place at the right time.
If you are leaving full-time education or searching for a new career and if you have a provisional UK DVLA driving licence with no penalty points or driving bans, you can advance your Driving career or start a new career with world-wide travel opportunities in the RAF. The RAF is a diverse recruiter, the all-inclusive community offers support no matter what you background whether it may be BAME, LGBT or faith networks.
Experience Needed - None! We provide some of the best on the job training at no cost to yourself, and you will always receive basic training first to get you accustomed the job. The RAF will train and develop you as an individual, also offering award-winning apprenticeships with a guaranteed job at the end.
Logistics Drivers are required to operate a wide range of general and specialist vehicles, from Passenger Carrying Vehicles (PCVs, which include cars, minibuses and coaches), to both rigid and articulated Large Goods Vehicles (LGV) and mobile cranes; you will also refuel aircraft using tankers.
It will be your responsibility to make sure that RAF personnel and equipment get to the right place, at the right time and in good condition to meet Defence's operational output. You will be driving or operating on exercises and on operational deployments, on and off airfields and throughout the world, both on paved roads or on rough terrain. You will drive an array of different passengers (including VIPs), LGVs carrying an array of equipment, which will include transporting hazardous materials using the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR) qualification you gained during your Initial Trade Training.
Within your first few years, you could be detached overseas for anything from a few days, up to several months. As a specialist and professional vocational driver, you will be expected to maintain the highest standards of dress, deportment and driving technique.
Training you'll receive:
Your career will start with a 10-week Basic Recruit Training Course at RAF Halton in Buckinghamshire. The course is designed to help you adjust to a military environment. As well as fitness and military training, you'll also learn about the RAF lifestyle. A full training and support package is available to Logistics Drivers throughout their career.
All students will be awarded Level 2 Large Goods Vehicle Driver Apprenticeship.
Your next step will be the specialist driving course at the Defence School of Transport at Leconfield in East Yorkshire, which takes up to four months. During this course you will be trained to pass driving tests in categories B, C, C+E and D; you will also learn additional military driving skills such as Vehicle Loading and Restraint, Off Road Driving, Skid Avoidance and Recovery Techniques as well as the procedures and regulations for carrying dangerous goods by road.
At the end of the course, you will have passed your driving tests (if you haven't already done so before you join) and earned the SQA ADR Driver Training Certificate for Carrying Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR).
WHAT WILL YOU DO (TYPICAL RESPONSIBILITIES)
- Drive a range of vehicles throughout the UK, Europe and on worldwide operational deployment or field exercises, both on roads and over rough terrain.
- Train and operate specialist vehicles supporting the RAF's airfields in the UK and deployed worldwide.
- Transport personnel and goods (incl. hazardous materials) between units using Large Goods Vehicles, coaches and Troop-Carrying Vehicles.
WHAT YOU'LL GET
- Paid £15, 985 whilst training rising to £20,400 after training with yearly incremental increases there will be opportunities to earn up to £52,837 subject to promotions throughout your career.
- Automatic non-contributory pension scheme.
- Full on the job training.
- Free gym membership.
- Accommodation provided with heavily subsidised fees for single members and families.
- Potential options for flexible working around childcare (job role dependant).
- Opportunity to gain driving licences
- Wide range of subsidised training and education available.
- Minimum 38 days paid holiday per year.
- Opportunity to take part in adventurous training and sporting activities during work time, subsidise travel, entry fees and equipment costs.
- Sponsorship for talented personnel to compete at the highest-level sport.
- Subsidised meals with on-base catering.
- Free private healthcare and dental care.
- Member of Defence Discount Service.
- Railcard for £21 a year.
- Competitive Maternity and Paternity leave.
- Job Security: During COVID19 Pandemic we have continued to pay full salaries and have not needed to furlough any of our employees.
- Be a citizen of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, holder of a dual UK/other nationality or have been a Commonwealth citizen from birth. This is due to the rapid and effective deployability of RAF personnel to countries that apply travel restrictions to non-UK personnel.
- Be between 16 and 47 (Must attest before 48th birthday).
- No formal qualifications required but subject to an Airman Selection Test.
- Pass a Fitness test.
- Commit minimum 3 years post Phase Two Training.
- There are health and fitness requirements that must be met by all applicants.
Join our organisation and you will get much more than just a job - you'll have opportunities that no other employer can hope to match.
Fancy a challenge that will both develop and stretch you? Click 'apply now' to become one of the Royal Air Force's skilled Logistics Drivers.