Principal Software Development Engineer - Frontend
As a Principal Software Development Engineer within One Account you’ll drive the technical direction of one of Tesco’s most critical front-end services. You’ll be the most senior engineer in a team of 10 and will work with the Head of Software Development and our product managers to help move us forward in our technical strategy whilst delivering valuable outcomes for our consumers and customers. You’ll work within and across our outcome teams offering them architectural guidance and support as well as having the freedom to spend time looking ahead and proving out new approaches, technologies and tools. You’ll drive us forward in how we run and operate APIs and distributed systems at true scale.
Specifically, you will:
- Define and drive the development of our technical strategy for evolving the Tesco One Account service.
- Be very hands-on and contribute a significant amount to delivering outcomes.
- Work across Tesco Technology on wider technical initiatives and strategy.
- Mentor and grow the technical capabilities of our engineering community through leading by example, knowledge sharing and education.
- Take ownership of non-functional outcomes within One Account including focus on performance, availability, reliability and security.
- Continually look for how we can evolve and improve our technology, processes and practices.
The role will include participation in the on-call rota to support our applications in production.
Experience relevant for this job:
- Previous experience working in and across software engineering teams in a technical-lead, architect or similar role.
- Hands on experience in development of contemporary cross-platform web UI including accessibility, i18n and UI performance best practices.
- Experience with ES2015+ without dependence on specific frameworks.
Skills relevant for the job:
- A high degree of emotional intelligence. You are aware of your own emotions, how you appear and can self-reflect on your actions. You can empathise with others and modify your behaviour and style accordingly.
- Problem solving, analysis and computational skills. You are comfortable designing systems and reasoning about them. When tackling problems, you take a thorough and logical approach to solving them and you retain ownership through to resolution.
- Customer focus. You can find the right balance between outcome delivery and technical excellence. You place the needs of our customers above the needs of you and the team.
- Written and verbal communication skills. You can communicate effectively and efficiently taking into account the nature of your audience.
Our business was built with a simple mission – to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them.Benefits Package- Colleague Discount Card (including a second card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.- An annual bonus scheme where you could achieve up to 3.5% of eligible 2017/18 earnings.- Childcare Vouchers- Share Schemes- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & - Tesco Bank- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses- Sunday and Out of Hours premiums available
Posted 19 days ago