Thermal Mechanical Engineer
Harwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Archangel Lightworks is a start-up specialised in space laser communications based in Harwell Space Campus, Oxfordshire. Founded in mid-2017, we have secured long-term funding and successfully demonstrated several novel prototypes related to laser transmission and efficient perpendicular solar concentration. Our mission is to make 10x more data download possible to meet the demand from the growing satellites market, especially smallsats, delivering more data from the earth orbit to the ground at higher speed. This project will be developed directly with the European Space Agency and in partnership with OpenCosmos.
We are passionate about innovation and driven to find new concepts for communications architectures. An opportunity to join this exciting team is available for an innovative, ambitious and experienced talent with a strong background in Thermal Mechanical Design Engineering to drive this forward and augment our rapidly growing team. The successful candidate will be responsible for the trade-off analysis of payload mechanical and electromechanical design for communication payloads and working closely with systems engineering.
Specific job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design of opto-mechanical assemblies, high precision actuation mechanisms, payload enclosures for space and airborne environments.
- Performing analysis (mechanical-structural, thermal) to inform design and support verification of requirements to be presented in analysis reports.
- Clear and concise technical presentation of work to the team and mentoring/teaching of junior staff.
- Planning, completing and documenting validation and qualification testing of new designs.
Design and manufacturing of test equipment, working closely with AIT personnel.
- Participating in document preparation and design reviews throughout each phase of payload development.
Interested applicants may also consider starting first as a fixed-term consultant while rolling into a permanent role, which we would willingly support depending on your ability to deliver, innovate and lead. We are a small company who like to do big impactful things and we are seeking someone who shares that mindset.
You will be remunerated competitively depending on your experience and skills. We work around delivery-focused, agile sprints such that you will be making impact early and regularly, with a sustainable work-life balance. There are options for flexible working hours, (some) working from home, travel and training bursaries, as needed. We also work in the buzzing Harwell Space Campus with regular events on site (networking, workshops), and delicious lunch time international cuisines.
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent) in Aerospace Engineering or related discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant experience.
- A clear and logical approach to problem solving and presentation of information.
- Experienced in developing composite fibre structures.
- Experience in design and FEA analysis of equipment for aerospace application.
- Experience using professional CAD software (Solidworks preferred).
- Experience using relevant FEA packages (ANSYS, Solidworks professional, ESATAN ect).
Desirable additional skills/experience:
- Demonstrated experience using simulation tools to simulate complex thermal and mechanical problems.
- Experience developing precision pointing mechanisms for extreme environments.
- Experience with active and passive thermal control of spacecraft.
Experience working on CubeSat, UAV, HAPS projects.
- Experience with MATLAB. Other programming languages are desirable.
Dates and duration:
Suitable candidate to join as soon as possible, with the start date negotiable.
Location:Our offices are with the European Space Agency at Harwell, near Oxford. Flight locations are 30 min drive away. Some remote work will be possible. There might be some opportunities for overseas travel – please indicate any restrictions due to visas etc.
Application closing date:
Early application is strongly advised as the position may be filled sooner.
To apply, kindly send a CV and covering letter to applications at archangel dot works. You may also direct your questions at this email or simply register your interest and receive reminders.
To comply with data protection laws, we keep all candidates' personal data confidential and secure while their applications are being considered and remove such data as soon as possible (in the same month) once a decision has been reached.
TIER 2 SPONSORSHIP
We are only licensed to sponsor candidates who are already in the UK.
All candidates requiring tier 2 visa are welcome to apply and will be considered alongside all other applications, but please note that the limited numbers of sponsorship certificates would need to be reserved for exceptional talents. In other words, the non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. Those currently exempted from this test are in-country Tier 4 visa holders, for example. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website
Posted 12 days ago