Tyne and Wear - This Area Only
Permanent (Full time)
Our client is a market leader in their industry sector. They are looking to recruit a Production Manager who can help their business grow and improve.
We are looking for someone with extensive experience in Production/Operations Management as ideally this role will potentially be a delegate for a more senior role in the not too distant future, therefore we would like someone who is already established in this role but who also has ambition to taken the next step.
The candidate must have good commercial awareness and must not only be familiar with the financial side of the business but also have direct experience with managing budgets, costs and profit and loss as well as the more production side of the role.
- Direct and develop employee HSE awareness throughout all Production activity as the Number One business priority ensuring that personal Safety is paramount along with the Safety of others. Challenge all unsafe team member behaviours and compliment good practice
- Encourage reporting of IFEs and delivery of company WOC targets and embracing any required company policies on the Health, Safety and Wellbeing of client employees
- Ensure that general housekeeping of all Production areas is always managed to an exceptional standard.
- Development of housekeeping programmes will be pivotal to good HSE management and product Quality
- Carry out direct reports Performance Reviews/Appraisals in line with client policy. Develop Cell Leaders to do the same
- Using the Birtley structure to Identify training requirements of all Production personnel, update training matrices.
- Work with the site HR Manager to provide first line response to all HR and people matters. Prepare and implement appropriate personal development/training plans for each member of the team to enable them to fully contribute to the team performance and to ensure the correct skills are in place to deliver the company’s future succession plans
- Manage and develop all shift activities and achieve departmental goals through focusing on and promoting a team-based culture
- Develop, motivate and maintain an effective Production environment built on mutual trust and open communication which is continually focused on "Complete Customer Quality" and working with a continuous improvement ethos of the "Customer is Key"
- Full accountability for the Financial Performance for all Production activity including direct and indirect costs including labour, overtime and recurring production costs of products. Continually monitor costs and implement remedial action plans when performance is higher/above target/budget
- Ensure that manning levels are optimum and managed according to Business Plan and current levels of Production. Flex resource to meet cost effective Production targets/budget including planning for holidays and absence
- Achieve the optimum levels of WIP and Finished Goods ensuring good effective control of Net Working Capital
- Ensure all Production outputs are met Right First Time and delivery is On Time and in Full
- Plan, implement and control Production operating targets and ensure adequate timely management/team reporting of the same. Key metrics will include OTD, Internal Scrap Rates, Claims and Returns, Press/Equipment Downtime and Die Failure Rate
- Develop a "Profitability" mindset where all Production employees under your control fully understand the financial impact of metrics above, order value and impact of poor Quality and Productivity. Report Weekly/Monthly/Quarterly Quality figures complete with action to address
- Identify, conduct or support Continuous Improvement plans/actions and OPEX/EBS activities to ensure optimum performance of all Production processes (A3, 5S, VSM)
- Promote good preventative maintenance scheduling and work with the Site Technical and Reliability Engineer to secure best results from Planned Stops and ensuring critical spares are available to reduce unnecessary downtime using CMMS as a key tool.
- As a Senior member of the Birtley site team the Production Manager will form close working ties with all Site functional/departmental Managers to guarantee solid working relationships to ensure all site functions are contributing fully and operating as a team. You must step up for the site MD in their absence from site.
- Provide full provision for assisting Customer Services, Sales and Engineering with technical support on Birtley products and specifications.
- Minimum 5 years proven leadership within a Manufacturing environment - Manufacturing background essential.
- Experienced manager with ability to motivate a team within a production environment essential.
- A demonstrated ability as a leader, with good team leading/developing skills and an ability to work effectively with staff in a range of functions and at all levels of the business.
- Experience in continuous improvement, problem solving and change management in an industrial environment.
- Must have the ability and ambition to take on a Senior role within the UK operation 2-3 years.
- Good Safety bias and qualification (IOSH/Nebosh or equivalent).
- Good level of MS office and IT competence.
- Ideally degree qualified in manufacturing discipline.
- Good financial and commercial awareness and analytical skills.
- Experience in continuous improvement, problem solving and change management in a manufacturing environment.
- Credible and mature management style with a strong work ethic and open minded and receptive to change.
- Organised and structured way of working. Ability to work independently and manage Plant activity team time effectively.
- Lead multi-disciplined Teams, production teams and manufacturing professionals.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good work ethic and drive to complete on time and meeting production deadlines.
- Have a "Low Cost, High Productivity" mindset for efficient Production management.
- Competitive salary.
- Scope for progression.
- Opportunity to work for employer of choice.