Non-executive Director/Trustee at The Russett Learning Trust
Northwich, Cheshire West and Chester, England
Permanent (Part time)
The Russett Learning Trust in Northwich seeks two non-executive directors/Trustees with Finance, Audit and Risk or Health and Safety experience to join its board. Board meetings are held at CW8 3BW when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Russet Learning Partnership converted to an Academy Trust in June 2015, and was approved as a sponsor in March 2016. The Russett Learning Trust is a special school Academy Trust that currently supports the Russett School in Northwich, Chesire - an all-through school that caters for pupils aged 2 to 19 years. In July 2018 the School was Ofsted rated as Outstanding for the second time in a row. The trust employs 76 staff to support its 117 learners, with a budget of approx. £2m.
The fundamental vision of The Russett Learning Trust is to be a 'Centre of Excellence in providing outstanding training, education and care'. The mission of the trust is to 'Challenge for Achievement', and be relentless in the pursuit of ever improving outcomes for all, through the delivering of the 6 C's:
Citizens, Challenge, Confidence, Creative, Community and Character.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in:
- Financial Management/Responsibility and
- Audit and
- Risk or
- Health and Safety
Finance role: The trust seeks individuals with board level experience of Finance/Financial Management and experience of Audit and Risk. The trustee will also be asked to Chair the Audit & Risk committee.
Health and safety role:The trust seeks an individual with Health and Safety experience at a senior management level to assist the board in overseeing the compliance at board level of Health and Safety processes across the trust.
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 - 24 months:
- To redefine the strategy of the trust for the next 3 to 5 years. To support this, the trust aims to review the skills and experience across the trustees and local governors in the academy.
- Working with external partners to embed the 18 to 25 Learning Centre and to develop the governance arrangements.
- To increase the diversity across governance and developing an effective strategy for future succession planning.
Board governance in education is a strategic, 'eyes on, hands off' commitment which at the Russett Learning Trust involves attending six board meetings per year, amounting to approximately 7 hours' time commitment per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.