Java Developer - Newbury | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Newbury, West Berkshire, England
Permanent (Full time)
The role is to work as a software developer in the Unified Communications and Connectivity Practice’s Software Engineering team. This will involve working in a team of developers to build the next generation platform to allow our customers to consume next generation unified communications and connectivity products in a cloud native manner.
The role will involve understanding and implementing APIs and creating software to build cloud native applications. A good understanding of micro-services architectures and micro-service design patterns (SAGA, CQRS, Event Sourcing, Domain Driven Design), functions as a service (AWS Lambda), infrastructure as a service (Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud) will be needed as part of this role, Knowledge of object oriented development and skill in an appropriate language (for example Scala) is essential, along with sound knowledge of software design patterns, and SOLID principles. We may expand the languages we use as the microservices we develop require, so a willingness to adapt to new frameworks is also desirable.
An understanding of Infrastructure as Code, and tooling such as Terraform will be needed or learned.
The team will be managing work through the Scrum or Kanban framework, so good knowledge of this and how to work within it is essential.
This role will be to deliver on the following:
* Take a shift-left approach to development, ensuring that testing and security are at the heart of the software created, using techniques such as TDD and BDD.
* Work in a team to produce emergent design for a microservices based architecture
* Work with architects on new designs, providing input into the best way to solve problems with software development
* Bring your ideas into to the Platform team management on how best to enhance our software engineering capability. Keep up to date on current thinking, and design patterns in software development to ensure that software produced remains fresh
* Work in a DevOps team to develop new software for the UC Platform based on the Product Owner’s backlog to offer our customers a cloud native experience in consuming our services.
* Research open source projects that could leverage to create new services or enhance our software architecture.
* Ensure that software produced has excellent unit testing coverage to ensure that changes can be made safely.
Core competencies, knowledge and experience
· Ability to adapt to new development languages and frameworks
· Working in agile teams
Must have technical skills:
* A demonstrated ability to create software to solve business problems
* Primary language is Java
* Unit testing frameworks usage
* BDD domain specific languages and constructs (. Cucumber Gherkin)
* Microservices design patterns
* SOLID principles
* Infrastructure as Code
Diversity & Inclusion
Capgemini Engineering recognises the benefit that having a diverse workforce brings to our projects. We value applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. In order to support diversity in our hiring process, your application will be anonymised when shared with hiring managers to be reviewed against the position.
As a permanent employee of Capgemini Engineering you will have access to a range of benefits alongside your salary including an annual bonus scheme where you could share in the company’s success. You will get 25 days paid holiday outside of the bank holidays, a pension scheme with employer contributions, options for private medical cover as well as life assurance and enhanced maternity/paternity pay. For some employees you will also be eligible to take part in our impressive employee referral scheme (£2,500 per employee referred).
Capgemini Engineering combines, under one brand, a unique set of strengths from across the Capgemini Group: the world leading engineering and R&D services of Altran – acquired by Capgemini in 2020 - and Capgemini's digital manufacturing expertise. With broad industry knowledge and cutting-edge technologies in digital and software, Capgemini Engineering supports the convergence of the physical and digital worlds. Combined with the capabilities of the rest of the Group, it helps clients to accelerate their journey towards Intelligent Industry. Capgemini Engineering has more than 52,000 engineer and scientist team members in over 30 countries across sectors including aeronautics, automotive, railways, communications, energy, life sciences, semiconductors, software & internet, space & defence, and consumer products.
Capgemini Engineering is an integral part of the Capgemini Group, a global leader in partnering with companies to transform and manage their business by harnessing the power of technology. The Group is guided every day by its purpose of unleashing human energy through technology for an inclusive and sustainable future. It is a responsible and diverse organization of 270,000 team members in nearly 50 countries. With its strong 50-year heritage and deep industry expertise, Capgemini is trusted by its clients to address the entire breadth of their business needs, from strategy and design to operations, fueled by the fast evolving and innovative world of cloud, data, AI, connectivity, software, digital engineering and platforms. The Group reported in 2020 global revenues of €16 billion