Systems Engineer II - Voice & Video Platforms
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, England
- An annual bonus scheme which you can achieve up to 3.5% of base salary.
- Privilegecard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 6 months service with 10% off most purchases at Tesco.
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day.
- A retirement savings plan - 4%-7.5% contribution rate.
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay.
- Healthcare and dental options.
- Buy As You Earn Scheme which allows you to buy Tesco shares and save tax after 3 months of service.
- Save As You Earn Scheme which gives you the opportunity to save direct from your pay for three or five years with the option of using your savings to buy Tesco shares at a discounted price after 1 year of service.
- Access to Tesco Learning and Development Academy.
- Deals & Discounts through Tesco including Tesco Mobile & Tesco Bank.
- Deals and Discounts through many other external businesses.
- Cycle to work and Car Share Schemes.
- Onsite discounted Nuffield Health Gym.
- Subsidised Canteen.
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop, implement and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business.
As part of the wider Infrastructure Team, The Voice and Video Team design, implement, and operate all voice and video technologies that facilitate collaboration between colleagues and with our customers around the globe; Telepresence, Telephony, MS Teams, Contact Centres, etc.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role’s key responsibilities and measures:
- Architect, design and deliver solutions using existing infrastructure components. Where new infrastructure technologies are being introduced, implement them and establish best practice for their adoption. Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and initiate change to ensure that issues can be easily dealt with in future.
- Contribute to the technology roadmap for Tesco voice & video platforms.
- Evaluate new tools and techniques being able to understand their value and impact.
- Keep your technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Supporting contract renegotiations where we choose to renew a service or scoping and proposing new technologies to ensure Tesco’s voice and video infrastructure continues to meet the needs of colleagues into the future.
- Lead group design discussions on your area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to understand their requirements and assist them in meeting their requirements in the most seamless way possible.
- Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level.
- Ensure that the voice and video team’s designs are of a high quality and understand the impacts to any other areas of infrastructure.
- Ensure new or changing services have fully developed end to end service management models based on agreed and defined processes and standards.
- Work with and manage the various third-party partners to help deliver Tesco’s voice and video service globally to agreed standards and service levels.
- Identify and manage service / operational risks, ensuring our colleagues enjoy the best possible voice and video service, with minimal downtime.
- Participate in the regular review and continuous improvement of the voice and video service within Tesco, including capacity management, release management, and a drive towards common standards.
- Provide pro-active ownership of the voice and video service, addressing poorly trending KPI's, including working with third party partners to identify and resolve faults and open risks.
- Communicating with stakeholders and management to advise of any business impact, root cause, and remediation plan during service outages or degradation.
- Staying up to date with industry trends and developments in order to help shape future development of the voice and video platform.
- Understand Tesco Technology and business strategies and convert into technology roadmaps and innovative solutions that best achieve these goals.
- Introduce automation to all aspects of your day to day work.
This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker. It requires someone who is an expert in their field, and who is comfortable being the first layer of management for people and projects. We’re looking for someone who is motivated to make change for the better, and most importantly, is willing to always put our customers first.
- Experience designing and deploying solutions for large, complex global organisations.
- An analytical and structured approach to design, process and advanced trouble-shooting
- Ability to produce and maintain high quality HLD/LLD and Standards documentation.
- Well organised self-starter who takes personal ownership and accountability at required levels of the work stream and project life cycles; willing to go the extra mile at every opportunity.
- Provides technical leadership within teams and mentoring for individuals.
- Communicates effectively, able to deliver and present both written and verbal, designs, strategies and concepts clearly and effectively all levels of seniority.
- Take ownership, to keep up-to-date and embrace the latest industry technologies and associated supplier solutions.
Required Technology Skills
- A strong grasp of voice, video and collaboration technologies provided by vendors like Cisco, Microsoft, Pexip etc.
- Global SIP design and implementation experience.
- Contact centre voice technologies (CISCO Cloud Contact Centre / UCCE).
- Voice and data networking, routing and switching, QoS, PSTN, ISDN, H323 / SIP, mobile technologies (4G, 3G, 2G networks).
- Very good knowledge of Wide Area Networking technologies and protocols, such as MPLS, WAN Optimisation, DWDM. Ideally, with experience of dealing with major Global Comms suppliers
- Good understanding of browser-based technologies and protocols like HTML, HTTP/HTTPS and XML
- Excellent technical knowledge of OSI network topologies, troubleshooting and design eg Routing Protocols (BGP, OSPF), DNS, DHCP, IP Address Management and TCP/UDP Port RFC & IEEE 802-based standards.
- Good understanding of Network Management technologies and protocols like SNMP, Netflow, IPSLA, along with practical experience of associated Network Management & Alerting Tools
Desired Technical Skills
- Previous experience designing and maintaining Cisco voice and video platforms.
- Microsoft Teams Direct Routing, and experience migrating from Cisco to MS Teams for voice and video calls / meetings.
- Experience designing, implementing, and supporting Pexip video interop for Cisco / MS Teams.
- Experience in data centre migration planning and execution.
- Good technical knowledge of Network QoS requirements for VOIP and Video calls.
- Previous experience designing, implementing and supporting vBrick enterprise webcasting platform.
- Strong knowledge of VMware, and extensive use in managing a virtualised environment.
Posted 8 days ago