Senior Front End Developer
Permanent (Full time)
At Octopus we’re transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We’ve built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ in excess of 750 people and manage more than £8 billion on behalf of over 50,000 investors. Our products don’t just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Wealth and Octopus Renewables. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we’re always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About us + tech stack
Octopus Labs is the fintech innovation unit of the Octopus Group. We fuse track record and technology, expertise and UX, to build financial products the way they should be: trustworthy, rewarding and easy-to-use. Working at Octopus Labs provides an opportunity to combine the exciting pace and confidence of a start-up, with the broader benefits of a large, well-capitalised business that manages more than £7 billion on behalf of over 100,000 customers.
We're rewriting our legacy frontend tech-stack of CoffeeScript, jQuery and Gulp to a more modern Webpack, React and Redux package. Our frontend code sits on top of a Python and MySQL backend. Some of our projects are hosted on Google App Engine others are in Kubernetes. CI/CD is managed by Jenkins.
Some of the perks
- Flexible working hours, option to work from home on some days, or outside the office
- 10% of time to develop your skills or work on a side project
- Competitive salary and shares in the company
- Private healthcare with Bupa
- Benefits and discounts to certain stores
- Pension / Life insurance plan
- Standing desks
- Free tea, coffee, milk, and fruits
- Friday mornings coffee from outside the office
What we're looking for
- Good knowledge of React and Redux
- Have the desire to mentor others and share your knowledge
- Ability to communicate and contribute your ideas
- A good understanding of HTML and CSS
- Experience with Sass
Nice to have skills
- You know how to use Webpack
- Some experience with a Python framework (we use Tornado)
- Experience writing front end unit tests (we use Jest and Enzyme)
- Knowledge of working in an Agile way (sprints, scrums, retrospectives)
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don't just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strengths:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company's vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for.
We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold.
We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in.
We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and were always learning, adapting and improving.
We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.
Posted 111 days ago