Self-Employed Pub Business Partner
North Wales, UK
Permanent (Full time)
The Wellington is a traditional pub in the city centre of Preston (side street off main high street). It has small (but as good as separate) trading areas inside and a sizeable outdoor courtyard. Its current style is 'shabby chic / quirky' and this appeals to students. The pub trades extremely well off these in term time but needs to attract city goers/shoppers midweek to ensure consistent trade all week, especially midweek and during non term time.
The Wellington would ideally suit someone able to develop an offer which will attract students during evenings/weekends (quiz/live music programme/live sports/events) but also attract local shoppers/city goers with a good lunchtime food offer and drinks deals. Food experience would be an advantage to implement a good food offer in there. The ability to promote effectively using social media is essential.
Let your big ideas for your own pub run free as a foundation partner. Your earnings will be based on a percentage of weekly drinks sales, but you’ll have the flexibility to choose the food you offer and keep every penny of food sales! It’s the chance to:
- Leave your old life behind and be your own boss
- Commit to five of the most exciting years you’ll have ever worked
- Live rent-free in the pub
- Take home 30% of weekly drinks sales
- Keep 100% of the money you make on food
- Keep 50% of the profits from any gaming machines
- Offer the award-winning range of fantastic Marston’s beers, wines, spirits and minerals
- Have your drinks stock supplied and paid for by Marston’s, not to mention your heating and lighting
- Learn from the best during your induction training and enjoy on going training and support from your dedicated Business Development Manager
Things to consider
You’ll need to put in a £5k deposit, plus legal fees and cover your own insurance (except building insurance, which we’ll pay for). Also, you’ll want to start thinking about your team; taking care of paying them and all other employment matters. We’re on-hand to offer guidance as you plan your business overheads, like business rates (and your own residential Council Tax). Also, start thinking about any internal repairs and decoration you’d like to do to bring the place up to standard and committing to an annual decorating fund.
Before we all sign the agreement and see you heading into a whole new life, you’ll just need to show us proof that you’ve had independent financial advice from an accountant and solicitor, as dictated by the Statutory Pub Code. And, of course, obtain your personal licence (which we’ll help with) and complete your induction training.
It’s a five-year commitment, so you have loads of time to build the business and get it performing brilliantly.