Hull, E Riding of Yorkshire, England
Blatchford is a world leading rehabilitation provider with clinical expertise in prosthetics, orthotics, special seating and wheelchairs. We design and manufacture the multi award-winning Endolite range of lower limb prostheses and provide clinical services to the NHS, military and patients internationally. With 128 years of innovation and expertise behind us, we produce the world's most advanced microprocessor artificial limbs.
We now have an excellent opportunity for Wheelchair Therapist, to join our specialist Wheelchair service in Hull and deliver an outstanding clinical service to a variety of patients throughout the region.
Responsibilities of the Wheelchair Therapist:
- Managing a caseload of patients including those with complex/specialist needs, utilising clinical reasoning and specialist skills to assess, plan and implement treatment regimens for patients, and to prescribe, plan and co-ordinate home assessments, to ensure all appropriate recommendations are actioned within the designated time frames
- Utilising specialist knowledge and skills, to provide operational and clinical advice to staff, the multi-disciplinary team and to service users, providing appropriate education to patients and carers in order to encourage patient participation in the management of their condition.
- Supervising clinicians and Support Staff, providing professional guidance and advice, actively participating in inductions and training of students and staff from other professions and conducting/ contributing to Performance Reviews as appropriate
- Using specialist techniques for the handling of patients with physical and cognitive needs and appropriate techniques or precautions when treating/handling patients when presenting with behaviours and/or mental health needs
- Ensuring patient records are maintained and providing typed reports of assessments and handovers carried out, as necessary, guaranteeing that all reports written by self, supervisees or students are to an acceptable standard.
- Taking an active role in developing and promoting the wheelchair service within the organisation, monitoring and evaluating systems to ensure that the quality of the service is maintained; identifying opportunities for development and implementing them where appropriate
- Supporting the manager in the delivery of key performance indicators and quality initiatives and supporting less experienced members of the team including assisting with training, development and leadership.
- Having an awareness of local and national initiatives and of medical, political and therapeutic developments impacting on the wheelchair services and healthcare delivery, considering the implications within the service
- Maintaining a strong, current theoretical knowledge base and keeping up to date with all developments associated with postural management and mobility equipment
- Driving change through the service and promoting developments in new techniques and the application of current, evidence-based practice at every opportunity.
Requirements of the Wheelchair Therapist:
The successful candidates will be excellent professional communicators, establishing and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues both within and outside Wheelchair Services to improve patient care; and externally to further develop the service and provide the best possible care to patients. They will be flexible and innovative in their approach, and have strong organisation, prioritisation and decision-making skills. They will be enthusiastic and have a positive approach, with the ability to motivate, lead and inspire others.
Experience of working in a role as a Wheelchair Therapist is highly beneficial, however we also accept applications from therapists (occupational therapist/physiotherapists) and Rehabilitation Engineers of different disciplines that have worked in manual therapy and are looking to move into wheelchairs. Experience of supervising/ training junior staff would also be beneficial. We also welcome applications from Graduates looking for their first opportunity. The successful applicant will be degree qualified in a therapeutic discipline and be HCPC registered.
We offer competitive packages, excellent benefits and the opportunity to work as an integral part of a developing service.
If you feel you meet the above criteria of this Wheelchair Therapist role then please apply now!
Posted 20 days ago