London, Greater London, England
Job Title: Paralegal
Accountable to: Project Manager and Matter Manager(s)
As an international reputation, privacy and security consultancy comprised of law, advisory, cyber and intelligence, Schillings help successful individuals from all over the world to enjoy what they have achieved, free from intrusions into their private lives or assaults on their character. Our team of leading lawyers, risk consultants, cyber security experts, kidnap and ransom negotiators and intelligence analysts work together with some of the biggest names and most influential people on the planet - defending their rights and freedoms in an age of instant communication and relentless change.
So, if you're uninspired by the norm, then Schillings might just be the place to change your direction of travel.
The paralegal will provide paralegal and administrative support on client matters. You will work alongside experts in the field of privacy, reputation and security. Within the role you will be responsible for billable tasks under the instruction of other fee earners, file management, co-ordination of deadlines, administrative tasks and ensuring the firm's processes are followed. You should record five chargeable hours per day.
You will work closely with other fee earners on client work and also with the finance and compliance teams who are responsible for billing and client on-boarding respectively.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain paralegal and project co-ordinator experience and see the inner workings of a law firm which is doing things differently. For outstanding candidates, longer term career progression opportunities may exist within the wider firm; Intelligence and Investigations, Legal, Project Management, or Business Services.
The role is based full time in the office.
Knowledge & skills
This role requires a highly organised, competent individual, with a proactive approach, excellent attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload. Previous paralegal experience will be a plus, ideally in corporate or litigation.
You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be confident in communicating effectively with clients, other third parties and colleagues at all levels in an agile environment e.g. liaising in person, by phone, video conference and email. We expect the successful candidate will have a minimum 2.1 undergraduate degree with completion of the LPC at merit or distinction preferable. Role & Responsibilities
Matter opening and closing tasks including:
- amending and finalising client engagement documents
- proactively engaging with matter team to ensure documentation is sent out in a timely fashion
- sourcing KYC documentation as directed by Compliance
alert Compliance when matters are ready for closure
Chargeable tasks such as:
- media monitoring and evidence gathering; researching media, social media and other online sources under direction
- data entry and analysis; creating spreadsheets and taking responsibility for tracking press statements and other media
- preparing, updating and copying bundles
- drafting memoranda of advice for other fee-earners and clients
- assisting with preparation of court documents, witness statements, evidence and exhibits
- liaising with Court, Counsel, suppliers and other third parties
- serving legal notices and Orders
- drafting basic legal correspondence and working with solicitors to progress correspondence
Please note this list is not exhaustive and tasks are subject to business needs.
Proactive file management, including:
- maintaining complete and up-to-date files
- checking for proper use of versions
- checking correspondence and documents and have been correctly filed
- archiving paper files in a timely fashion on file closure
following up with matter team where file management issues are identified
Administration and diary management
- amending, scanning and sending letters including track changes and versions
- identifying and diarising deadlines and sending reminders and keeping fee earners updated in relation to upcoming deadlines
- arranging matter related internal and external meetings, travel and calls across teams and time zones
- ensuring CRM system is kept up to date including matter parties and costs estimates
- document production and amendment
- reviewing incoming post for actions and deadlines, forwarding to matter team and ensuring proper filing
- tracking matter finances including checking WIP and notifying matter managers when matters are approaching the fee estimate
- ensuring invoices and fee notes are passed to Finance
- assisting with sending or chasing client bills as directed by Finance
- following New Supplier Process when instructing suppliers
- cover for absences in the team
Life at Schillings
Given our audacious (and successful) business strategy, it is not surprising that Schillings has a very strong culture. While not for the faint hearted, the atmosphere is highly collaborative and focused on excellence. We have worked hard over the years to develop a coaching culture which is remarkably non-hierarchical, especially given our roots as a law firm. The company has adopted a set of values to put at the heart of this change and they reflect the intention and tenor of our ambitious plans. They are: 'Innovative; Bold; United; Excellent; always'. The company's client list speaks for the outstanding results that have been delivered over many years and the task now is to grow without losing any of the commitment to delivering for clients or the service ethos. Finding outstanding people who can thrive in this environment is key to our success.
Posted 16 days ago