Port Sunlight, Merseyside
Up to £36488 per annum
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join a world leading global organisation, our global FMCG client Unilever, the powerhouse behind brands such as Domestos, Cif, Sure and Persil, as a Flavour Specialist for a 12month contract. The post will be based from Unilevers prestigious Research & Development Facility in Port Sunlight, Wirral, however some travel to Italy may be required (less than 5% of the role). The role is paying circa £36,488 per annum, pro rata depending on experience.
This job focuses on working within the R&D Design team as a flavour specialist operating in a creative capacity with the support of the Category Brand Flavour Manager (CFM) in delivering the flavour development elements of projects. The job requires close collaboration with Flavour House partners with whom unique flavour creations are conceived, developed and delivered.
The job requires a high level of olfactive ability/sense of smell coupled with an indepth understanding of the Category (Brands, consumer needs, products and formulations). When this ability is utilised in projects it enables creative interpretation of the flavour needs for product mixes and critical flavour selections for market acceptable decisions. A passion for flavours is essential.
The job holder will lead the flavour aspects of a portfolio of global projects over a number of different category brands, working in close partnership with the Flavour Houses.
The specific tasks associated with the role are summarised below:
- Drive quality standards of flavoured products to deliver winning flavours, ensuring fit to Brand.
- Utilise expert personal judgement in order to generate and interpret results in accordance to agreed protocols.
- Utilising flavour brand strategy and market knowledge, work alongside the CFM to scope out the flavour deliverables by translating ideas for new concepts into clear flavour direction. This includes setting technical benchmarks and working strategically with Supply Management to establish cost targets.
- Lead the total Flavour House briefing process gaining agreement from all stakeholders and project partners (technical and marketing, global and regional).
- Work collaboratively with Flavour House partners to translate the flavour direction for the product into desirable flavours often in autonomy. Leads the evaluation and selection process translating brand critique into expert flavour vocabulary and feeding back to Flavour Houses in order to fully optimise routes.
- Responsible for delivery, against network timings, of the flavour for global scope projects, dovetailing with other elements of the product mix
- Work alongside marketing and the CFM to select final flavours and develop the most consumerappealing product mixes, dovetailing flavour to fit to concept, pack colours etc.
- Recommend flavour themes from the category portfolio for projects or regional rollout where appropriate.
- Work with regional marketing / RDCs to implement recommended flavours into local markets
- Continuously builds and utilises inmarket flavour understanding, including competitors, crosscategory drivers and Flavour trends in order to deliver marketwinning flavours and build flavour capability.
- Coordinate under CFM guidance all flavour adaptations and implementations required by UL Policy and regulatory standards to ensure compliance and consumer safety.
- Support CFM to build Unilever and category flavour capability, strategy and expertise.
- Manage interface between Flavours and Consumer Research by supporting CTI to ensure right methodologies are in place for flavour assessment.
- A passion for flavours demonstrated through olfactive acuity and palate, plus the ability to translate into proper language.
- Ability to work across brands and projects, managing complex and multiple interfaces, globally. Must be confident in building relationships across multifunctional teams.
- Stakeholder management.
- Good data management skills.
- Advanced level skills in Microsoft Excel and SAP.
- Consumer research and sensory studies experience.
- Masters Degree in Food Science/Biology/Chemistry/Pharmaceutical Chemistry (or similar) preferred.
Posted 6 days ago