Data Protection Manager
Merkle is a leading data-driven, technology-enabled, global performance marketing agency that specialises in the delivery of unique, personalised customer experiences across platforms and devices. We call it ‘people-based’ marketing, and with over 25 years’ experience, we are proud to be recognised as a Global leader.
Merkle’s heritage in data, technology and analytics is the foundation for our understanding of consumer insights that drives our people-based marketing strategies. With our expertise, we can offer our clients content-driven, contextual and compelling customer journeys and experiences that drive business growth.
With our Head Office in Columbia, Maryland and offices US wide, we continue to grow at a rapid rate across Europe and Asia. In 2016, the agency joined the Dentsu Aegis Network, one of the world’s biggest Global media companies.
We have a great new opportunity for a Data Protection Manager to join our Privacy team. In this role you will co-ordinate, embed and monitor data protection and privacy compliance in accordance with our polices and procedures. The role presents a great opportunity to drive continuous data protection improvements and constructively challenging existing processes and procedures! There will also be opportunity to travel to our Bristol, Edinburgh and Barcelona offices, estimated at quarterly.
This pivotal role will report to directly to our UK Data Protection Manager and will have ultimate responsibility for ensuring that effective policies, procedures, and training programs regarding privacy and data protection are adhered to. It will give great exposure across our UK Marketing Solutions & Agency Services business teams and wider Merkle and Dentsu Aegis Network (DAN) business units.
Promoting a positive data culture, you will:
- Ensure an appropriate level of data and privacy compliance
- Oversee data protection governance for new projects and initiatives
- Provide senior stakeholder assurance through monitoring and oversight
- Promote a postive data protection and privacy culture through training and awareness
- Ensure compliance through auditing and risk management activities
We anticipate the suitable candidate will bring circa 2+ years’ experience in a data protection or compliance role, with a robust understanding of the core elements of data protection law/regulation and the interface with digital and logical security.
Life as a Data Protection Manager at Merkle
- Provide advice and guidance to our employees on all aspects of privacy and data protection
- This will include liaising across the Merkle commercial service lines and business units, plus the associated functional core units across Merkle (for example, HR, Client and Business Teams, Operations, Procurement, IT Security, Legal, etc.) in relation to the relevant policies, procedures, processes and initiatives to ensure compliance
- Foster a positive data protection culture within your business area
- Develop, implement, maintain and monitor privacy and data protection policies, processes and controls
- Conduct audits to ensure privacy and data protection compliance and proactively address potential privacy and data protection issues
- Provide the UK Data Protection Manager assurance through the monitoring and oversight of the health and activities of Merkle’s privacy and data protection practice
- Track and report key performance indicators to your stakeholders on a regular basis
- Participate and advise on security incidents and investigations or privacy complaints and undertake reporting and remedial actions as necessary
- Facilitate the preparation of data protection impact assessments for new products and services, ensuring due consideration is given to technical and organisational measures to protect and safeguard personal data and include essential elements of privacy by design and by default
- Support Legal and Procurement processes around privacy and data protection issues in contract negotiations and client relationships, highlighting to key stakeholders the necessity of adherence to customer data handling obligations
- Oversee the delivery of privacy and data protection training and awareness for employees involved in personal data processing through the provision of bespoke, ad hoc training to improve local/regional knowledge
- Produce position and point of view papers and materials and FAQ documents, working closely with the UK Data Protection Manager
- Use your current knowledge and keep abreast of evolving privacy and data protection regulations, laws, and policies
A few of the benefits
Whether it’s the joy of working with people at the top of their game or the Merkle social calendar, people love working here – and we hope you will too
- Career development through Merkle University and other tools; with access to courses, textbooks and mentorship
- Private Medical Insurance, Company Pension, life insurance and other corporate benefits
- Food Fridays – enjoy a takeaway lunch courtesy of us once a month
- Four Thirsty - have a drink on us on a Friday afternoon!
- A selection of other industry standard benefits
- We anticipate the suitable candidate will bring between 2+ years’ experience in a data protection or compliance role, with a robust understanding of the core elements of data protection law/regulation and the interface with digital and logical security
- Ideally bring a recognised Privacy qualification(s) and where possible Security qualification such as (CISMP, CISSP, CISA, CRISC, ISA, QSA, CIPP/E, CIPM, CIPT)
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to produce high quality reports and presentations
- Strong communication and influencing skills with the ability to liaise with senior stakeholders
- Experience of managing other security, data or risk regulatory frameworks with a strong security focus would be an advantage e.g. PCI DSS
- Experience and understanding of working with data
- Experience of working in the AdTech, MarTech and Analytics industry would be an advantage
Ability and willingness to travel to our other UK offices
At the point of application, the candidate must have the legal right to work in the UK as we are unable to sponsor visas as this time. Merkle does not discriminate against job applicants on the basis of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation. Experience stipulated in this job description serves as a guide only and all applications will be considered on their merits, irrespective of experience.
As part of our Diversity and Inclusion agenda, and as an Equal Opportunities employer, if you require reasonable adjustments during the selection process please engage directly with your Recruiter.
Posted 13 days ago