Senior Java Developer - Avonmouth | 30076 | Zoek UK
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Senior Java Developer
Avonmouth, Bristol, England
Permanent (Full time)
We are nearing the end of our ambitious project to upgrade our publishing systems to a use new standardised document and a simplified new architecture. We are looking to innovate and explore new opportunities using the new platform, so it is a great time to join us as a Senior Java Developer.
We are looking for someone to join our product team to work with our talented engineers and content specialists to build the right solutions for our content platform. We are proud of our self-organising teams who are empowered to select the most appropriate solutions.
The ideal candidate will bring a genuine enthusiasm for software craftmanship, automation and the ability to thrive in an environment characterised by continual learning, including 10% time for learning and experimentation, cross-functional collaboration and flexibility. You will be a strong team player with the ability to communicate effectively and clearly with your team and business stakeholders.
Even if you don't meet all the criteria, we are keen to hear from you and we offer lots of learning and development.
- Experience of working in highly performing product teams
- Loves software engineering and learning new technologies and skills
- Comfortable in agile (scrum, kanban, XP) environments with strong team working, communication and collaboration skills
- Confident developing in Java in a complex organisation and mentoring others
- Significant experience of working on Linux or UNIX-based systems
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery tooling using one or more of the following tools: Bamboo, Jenkins, Git, Puppet, Docker
- Proven track record in designing and building software that is scaleable, resilient, robust and following best practice
- Comfortable experimenting with new technologies and helping others to do so
Additional desirable skills and experience:
- Experience of various database services including relational, document, in memory etc . (SQL Server, PostgresSQL, DynamoDB, MarkLogic etc)
- Experience of testing tools including Selenium, Burpsuite, Sonarqube or similar equivalents
- Experience of public cloud (AWS or a similar provider) to configure services, set up permissions, deploy software. Use tools such as CloudFormation and CloudWatch
- XML document manipulation
- Experience of Web Services and Micro Service architectures
- Experience of SRE (Site Reliability Engineering)
- Confident picking up new domain knowledge and explaining to others
What we offer
In tech, we prioritise learning including 10% time for learning and experimentation as well as encouraging the pursuit of certifications and conference attendances.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees a comprehensive benefits package including an excellent pension scheme, discretionary annual bonus scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and generous annual leave, and a range of flexible benefits including childcare vouchers and gym membership.
Our modern and contemporary offices are based in the thriving city centre of Bristol, a stone’s throw away from Temple Meads train station, and within walking distance of Cabot Circus shopping centre, and numerous cafés and restaurants.
We are happy to discuss flexible working options from the start.
About IOP Publishing Tech
The Institute of Physics Publishing is an international scientific publisher, delivering leading-edge research worldwide. Our digital portfolio includes the IOPscience journals platform, Physics World news and regional websites.
The tech department provides technical leadership for software development, DevOps and application support. Our department has approximately 50 members of staff.
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter through our careers site highlighting your key skills and experience, and why you are interested in this opportunity and IOP Publishing.